Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I am little bit confused.I want to open a home based server.I bought a domain name.Now I want to connect my domain name with DNS server.As I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

which linux will be perfect for me to run a server?

Hi everyone,
    I am little bit confused.I want to open a home based server.I bought a domain name.Now I want to connect my domain name with DNS server.As I don't have a static IP ,I will take an advantage from Free Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Dynamic IP to get an dynamic IP.
    Let me clear,I want to open this server as an educational purpose. My web site will have some facility to open sub domain name.I just want to know how every thing works.I want to have some practical knowledge.I am using virtual server at my desktop.I want to start with JSP,MySQL,PHP,webmin etc.My current server is running under debian .I want to move to redHat enterprise 5.Is it a good idea?

Please give me suggestion.I am not an expert so I thing moving to BSD or Solaris will not be a great idea.What do you think guys ?
    Sincerely,
    mlhazan

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I personally think Debian is a good server operating system, so if this is the distro that you are most familiar with, then you can stick with it if you desire. If you prefer Red Hat, then take a look at CentOS which is a free RHEL rebuild. Its quite popular in the web hosting environment.

This poll is a good place to look at info for server specific distros.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for quick reply