Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Apache Webserver - Cannot Connect from Outside

I am using Debian linux and apache 2.
    I can access my apache server perfectly on my host machine, and presumably in the rest of the LAN. It is set to listen on port 80. I have gone to canyouseeme.org and made sure my ISP was not blocking port 80, as well as tried other ports. I have no firewalls running that I know of. ( Does Debian automatically block any ports?) I have forwarded port 80 to my server through my linksys router, and when that didn't work I eliminated the router all together. I get no errors on startup anymore for apache (though I did work through several.) After all of this I still cannot get outside users connected.
    I would really appreciate any help, whatever information you need, please tell me and I will post it.

[Edit] I have never really used linux before and thus I understand nothing about its networking, so maybe under the networking area where it has DNS and Hosts and server name/ domain name I need to change things, I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by arkangelgrike View Post
    I am using Debian linux and apache 2.
    I can access my apache server perfectly on my host machine, and presumably in the rest of the LAN. .
    can you test that? debian doesn't have a firewall on by default, to make sure you can run
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/iptables stop
    and then try it again. you can also run
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/apache/access.log
    and error.log and then try to connect externally and see if anything is logged.

let us know what you find.

I didn't have much time this morning on my server computer, but I tried to run:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/iptables stop
    and the return was an error saying no such command. Do I need to run:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d iptables stop
    instead?

Also I did tail -f on the access log and made a single attempt to connect and I only had about 15 seconds to look, but I didn't see any new information popping up, didn't get a chance to run error.log too.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Wow... I feel like an idiot. All the outside connections I was using to test the server were people on my own ISP in the same town. Apparently they cant connect to my server, but this computer (different ISP) can... I was not aware that others on your ISP should have any problems accessing your server.

The address is http://72.4.86.194/apache2-default please tell me if you can access that.

Quote Originally Posted by arkangelgrike View Post
    Wow... I feel like an idiot. All the outside connections I was using to test the server were people on my own ISP in the same town. Apparently they cant connect to my server, but this computer (different ISP) can... I was not aware that others on your ISP should have any problems accessing your server.

The address is http://72.4.86.194/apache2-default please tell me if you can access that.
    works for me