Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Debian linux and apache 2. I can access my apache server perfectly on my host machine, and presumably in the rest of the LAN. It is set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Apache Webserver - Cannot Connect from Outside

I am using Debian linux and apache 2.
    I can access my apache server perfectly on my host machine, and presumably in the rest of the LAN. It is set to listen on port 80. I have gone to canyouseeme.org and made sure my ISP was not blocking port 80, as well as tried other ports. I have no firewalls running that I know of. ( Does Debian automatically block any ports?) I have forwarded port 80 to my server through my linksys router, and when that didn't work I eliminated the router all together. I get no errors on startup anymore for apache (though I did work through several.) After all of this I still cannot get outside users connected.
    I would really appreciate any help, whatever information you need, please tell me and I will post it.

[Edit] I have never really used linux before and thus I understand nothing about its networking, so maybe under the networking area where it has DNS and Hosts and server name/ domain name I need to change things, I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by arkangelgrike View Post
    I am using Debian linux and apache 2.
    I can access my apache server perfectly on my host machine, and presumably in the rest of the LAN. .
    can you test that? debian doesn't have a firewall on by default, to make sure you can run
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/iptables stop
    and then try it again. you can also run
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/apache/access.log
    and error.log and then try to connect externally and see if anything is logged.

let us know what you find.

Just Joined!
    I didn't have much time this morning on my server computer, but I tried to run:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/iptables stop
    and the return was an error saying no such command. Do I need to run:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d iptables stop
    instead?

Also I did tail -f on the access log and made a single attempt to connect and I only had about 15 seconds to look, but I didn't see any new information popping up, didn't get a chance to run error.log too.

Just Joined!
    Wow... I feel like an idiot. All the outside connections I was using to test the server were people on my own ISP in the same town. Apparently they cant connect to my server, but this computer (different ISP) can... I was not aware that others on your ISP should have any problems accessing your server.

The address is http://72.4.86.194/apache2-default please tell me if you can access that.

Quote Originally Posted by arkangelgrike View Post
    Wow... I feel like an idiot. All the outside connections I was using to test the server were people on my own ISP in the same town. Apparently they cant connect to my server, but this computer (different ISP) can... I was not aware that others on your ISP should have any problems accessing your server.

The address is http://72.4.86.194/apache2-default please tell me if you can access that.
    works for me