Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I have a few books here and have done online searching. Unfortunately they do not touch upon dealing with virtual hosts...meaning more than one host sharing an ip address. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BIND/DNS and virtualhosts

Okay, I have a few books here and have done online searching. Unfortunately they do not touch upon dealing with virtual hosts...meaning more than one host sharing an ip address.

For most of the bind setup, this is not an issue. However, for the ip to name set up I find a complete roadblock.

The file in-addr.arpa is set for an ip address. According to all sources, you can only have one PTR record for an ip address. So this will not work..

(2 domains, one ip, one namebased)

123.123.234.12 IN PTR example.com
    123.123.234.12 IN PTR exampletwo.com
    In the above example I have two websites each sharing the same ip. In the zone files I treat them both as ipbased sites and that should not be an issue, but the PTR record thing makes no sense.

the PTR record for mail.example.com and mail.exampletwo.com should resolve to themselves and not just one domain. If they do not resolve to themselves then there will be a problem sending mail and not being bounced by aol and stuff like that.

Just Joined!
    here is my attempt so far at a nameserver and webserver...

looks good but other than doing a local nslookup on a ip, I cannot get the interent to get the nslookup via ip to show nay info.

still working on the namebased hosts/