Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everybody, The DHCP client ID is an id that is unique for DHCP clients at least in the same subnet. Usually the client uses MAC-address as Client-Identifier in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how to configure dhcp client identifier

Hi Everybody,

The DHCP client ID is an id that is unique for DHCP clients at least in the same subnet. Usually the client uses MAC-address as Client-Identifier in the DHCPDISCOVER message. The Client-Identifier may be different other than MAC-Address, For example a FQDN name, as per the RFC 2132 Ref, (code 61).

Usaually, we use the following to bind the ip address based on MAC-address
    host host1 {
    hardware ethernet 00:02:c3:d0:e5:83;
    fixed-address 40.175.42.254;}

1. At the server side, then how to assign the ip addresses to the clients , if the Client-Identifier is FQDN name in the DHCPDISCOVER message other than MAC-Address.

2. How to configure the client-identifier as FQDN name at client side.

Please help me,

Thanks Inadvance,
    Mummaneni.

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm not particularly expert in this area but I'll give it a shot.

For your first question, I don't think the dhcp server would look in the client identifier to get the mac address. If you want to set it up so it looks in the client identifier there then you will need to tell us what you are using to pass out the dhcp information.

Secondly, Kubuntu uses dhcp3 as it's dhcp client and has an option "send dhcp-client-identifier 01:23:45:67:89:ab:cd;" available in the config file. As far as I know this string is totally free format.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.