Find the answer to your Linux question:
This issue just happeneding within the last week or so. We have an apache HTTP server as well as a Tomcat server running on this Redhat machine. The applications are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat server running horribly slow

This issue just happeneding within the last week or so. We have an apache HTTP server as well as a Tomcat server running on this Redhat machine.

The applications are loading painfully slow, for instance a simple load of phpMyAdmin took almost 10 minutes. Sometimes access for a tomcat app will just hang and never do anything at all.

I using the "top" command the CPU usage is fine, during page loading the usage is only a couple %. Memory usage is fine, using "free -m" i can see that have almost a GB of physical memory available as well as full 2GB of swap. So system resources should not be a problem.

Using the firefox extension firebug I can view each piece of a page as its loading, and the page are literatlly loading sometimes at less than 1 KB/sec. This is on a university network where speeds are usualy in a 2MB/Sec plus range. and not all servers are expereicing this...just this one in particular.

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for things I can try and check on to find out what the problem is?
    Thanks
    -Ray

if you have a spare network card you might try using that, if your network card is dying it would cause problems like this, try wgetting a file from the server to another server and see if it transfers slow, that could be the problem, this is my first guess since like you say, the resources seem to be available (CPU, Memory)

Not to mention:

Quote Originally Posted by raydawg
    This issue just happeneding within the last week or so.
    Review your changelog to see if you can determine any application level, packet filtering, etc. changes that may have caused this.

If nothing, it very well could be hardware related. IIRC, ifconfig will display a count of errors occurring on the interface.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks for the help guys. running ifconfig showed no collisions or errors at all on the network cards, so i think those are probably fine. also since im the only one who maintains the server, i know that nothing was changed on it.
    someone else suggested checking RAM/HDD so im going to do that later

i ran smartctl and the disk passed fine, but then I ran badblocks and the program segfaulted before it even started

[root@xxxxx rholguin]# /sbin/badblocks -sv /dev/sdb
    Segmentation fault
    then when i check the logs I have this in there
    kernel: badblocks[14798]: segfault at 0000000000000000 rip 0000003b9d209dae rsp 0000007fbffff660 error 4
    so to me that doesn't sound like HDD failure, but more of the program failing to start/run properly. but just to be sure ill bring the system down later tonite after business hours and run the dell diagnostics to see what happens. after that im going to run memtest86 for the RAM.

did you try sending or receiving a file to the server like I said? just because there are no errors with packets doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the network card, I've had network cards that reported no errors/dropped packets, etc but ran extremely slow or only intermittently worked and upon replacement worked fine

Just Joined!
    yea i just did that right now....and got interesting results.

when i wget a file from some random site like apache it went perfect. then I tried to SCP a file from this server to another server we have and it was HORRIBLE. 4MB file that took almost 20 minutes with intermintent "stalled" messages during the process.

not quite sure what to make it of. but I convinced the boss to let me just shutdown the server now so i can take care of it and he agreed. The first test I ran on the dell diagnostic was the network card and it passed. the other tests are still running

well if nothing comes up with your diagnostic test and you have a spare NIC I would try that and see what happens

Just Joined!
    well the issue is finally resolved....this peice of crap had been giving me nightmares all week and it turns out it was just our network switch had gone bad =/ swapped it out and now everything is running smooth. pissed it was something so stupid, but glad its over now.

thanks again for all your help, much appreciated!