Find the answer to your Linux question:
I really want to learn J2EE and I just downloaded the J2EE SDK. I know the SDK comes with a server package, but I was just wondering what does that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need J2EE server, anybody know what I can do

I really want to learn J2EE and I just downloaded the J2EE SDK. I know the SDK comes with a server package, but I was just wondering what does that server allow me to do? Can I run servlets to my system to test it out now, what about beans, and JSP? I just want to get an idea of what this server is.

I don't know anything about running a server, and I am just really trying to get a grip as I go. So do I need to install Tomcat too. Is this server, not a real server, but just something that lets me test out my creations? If somebody can give me a heads up, I would really appreciate it.

Also the WSDP, is that another server package that Java offers for free? It won't work with J2SE 1.4.1_02 for linux, but I am thinking it might work with my 2000 machine.

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    though i have a less idea about linux platform. but if u have j2ee sdk then its for servlet jsp and ejb only. But to install it u need j2sdk. Again tomcat is also a server for servle and jsp. but it also needs j2sdk. Tomcat cannot run ejb's
    Install j2sdk and then istall j2ee
    then u will find some .sh file in the installdir/bin/ dir.
    Run the j2ee.sh
    for windows its j2ee.bat
    so i hope for linux it will be j2ee.sh
    try it out
    bye
    :P

Linux Engineer
    J2EE is just the interpreter for java code...like perl for perl code or bash/shell for shellscripts. To be able to write jsp-based webbpages you need a webbserver that supports that, like you said yourself Tomcat or Jboss.
    Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

J2ee

Quote Originally Posted by andutt
    J2EE is just the interpreter for java code...like perl for perl code or bash/shell for shellscripts. To be able to write jsp-based webbpages you need a webbserver that supports that, like you said yourself Tomcat or Jboss.
    J2ee contains an Application Server that can house JSP, servlet & EJBs. It's not only an apps server but also a web server.