Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i've got vsftpd setup, it all works right when i'm accessing it from within my own network, but when I try to acess it from outside I can connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vsftpd outside access

Ok, i've got vsftpd setup, it all works right when i'm accessing it from within my own network, but when I try to acess it from outside I can connect but as soon as I try to do anything (IE running ls) it gives an error 200, and says something about PASV mode, but it freezes. Are there some ports that need to be forwarded? i've got 21 forwarded, and BTW I can access my web server from out side, it works just fine.

I'm having similat exterior access problems with vsftpd, I have a D-link NAT Dunno if that makes a difference. i added ls_recures_enable=YES to the vsftpd.conf file. but when i use the text based ftp client (ftp) i type ls, and it hangs for a minute then reads "connection ended by host' I'm almost positive something else needs to be forwarded, because this works fine over the lan, no errors.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I fixed mine, just upgraded the firmware on my router and enabled DMZ for my server system (it exposes the system but makes all the server's on it work great).

EDIT: Oh yeah I think that there are some high range ports that need to be forwarded for passive mode, thats why i chose the DMZ route (my router didn't support port range forwarding).

Are you forwarding UDP packets on port 21 as well it might be that??