Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys n Gals, I have been tinkering with Linux for a number of years now but never anything too serious. I have recently decided to try to setup a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Sendmail Configuration Help

Hi Guys n Gals,
    I have been tinkering with Linux for a number of years now but never anything too serious. I have recently decided to try to setup a Web/E-mail server. I have registered my domain name and got apache running on Fedora 8,not too much problem, but I now have a major snag. I need to configure Sendmail, and all the guides may as well be written in Mandarin Chinese for all the sense they make to me. My domain registrar lets me make an MX entry to point to my mail server so I can host it myself, but I have no idea how to set it up to look at their systems or how to configure users mail boxes or accounts!! I was wondering if there is a Sendmail Guru here who can explain it in terms an idiot(as far as Sendmail goes) like me can understand?!?!

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Exclamation

Check out this link :
    Quick HOWTO : Ch21 : Configuring Linux Mail Servers - Linux Home Networking

It was very useful when i configured a sendmail.
    I think following will provide some hints about sendmail.

Code:
    Mail sent from Local Linux machine to Remote Linux
    Mail Server which will sent the mails to outside world.

Local Linux machine:10.232.13.99
    Remote Linux Server machine:12.167.43.117

Things done at remote machine (12.167.43.117)
    ==============================================
    1)First login to that destination machine as root.
    ssh root@12.167.43.117

2)Then go to mail directory.
    #cd /etc/mail

3)change access file -(Access file -- controls which hosts are allowed to use sendmail)
    #vi /etc/mail/access
    connect:12.167	RELAY

4)type make command,
    #make

5)open sendmail.mc file and make sure following line is commented.Only then sendmail will listen for connections from other machines on port 25.
    dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

6)creat new configuration file using following command,
    #m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf

7)Restart the sendmail program.
    #service sendmail restart

Things done at local machine (10.232.13.99) 
    ==========================================

1) Make sure local sendmail port 25 is not blocked  & Add ip address of remote machine in /etc/hosts file
    #vi /etc/hosts
    12.167.43.117   xxxcomdev.xxx.com       xxxcomdev

2) In sendmail.mc provide your sendmail server name and make sure DAEMON_OPTIONS is commented,

#vi /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

define(`SMART_HOST',`xxxcomdev.xxx.com') 

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

3)creat new configuration file using following command,
    #m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf

4)Restart the sendmail program.
    #service sendmail restart
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Smile

Asymptote, I am using a dedicated Dell PC for my server, so there should be no problems there, hopefully!!

Lakshmipathi, thanks for that, i will give it a go today and post back here to let you guys know how I got on.....Wish me Luck !!!!

Red face

Lakshmipathi, jus been looking at the HOWTO quickly and a couple of questions:

1. Will that set-up allow me to send & recieve mail from the rest of the world, or just on my local network?

2. Do you know where I can get the IMAP/POP3 bolt on to allow Outlook Express etc to connect to my mailserver?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm a real noob at Linux Mailservers(If it was a Lotus Notes Server, then I would be laughing!!)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoJock View Post
    Lakshmipathi, jus been looking at the HOWTO quickly and a couple of questions:

1. Will that set-up allow me to send & recieve mail from the rest of the world, or just on my local network?

2. Do you know where I can get the IMAP/POP3 bolt on to allow Outlook Express etc to connect to my mailserver?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm a real noob at Linux Mailservers(If it was a Lotus Notes Server, then I would be laughing!!)
    Hi PsychoJock,
    Regarding Question 1,

I configured sendmail few months back its an outgoing mail server.
    (ie)It sends mail to outside world say for example i used to
    sent mail from my linux machine to gmail account.

(Local linux machine will trigger mails to Remote linux mail server which forwards/replays
    to mail to gmail or others)

It was quite simple if you have Internet provider and you need to make
    few changes in sendmail.mc file.
    (Checkout my changes in sendmail.mc file above)

You can receive/send mails from/to outside world.

On Q2:
    I didn't get a chance to learn about POP/IMAP.

Clearly Checkout Wiki and google. you will learn more it.If i came across any links i'll post them here.

Following may be useful for you.

Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server Settings for Hotmail, Yahoo, Google GMail, AOL and more
    To change incoming and outgoing mail server for outlook and ...
    To change incoming and outgoing mail server for outlook and outlook express
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Question

Thank you for that Lakshmipathi, but I do not want to get my e-mails from an ISP server. My domain name is: epsilon-systems.co.uk and I need it to host mail on it's own out there in the big world. I have made 2 MX entries in my registrar's dns:-

MX0.epsilon-systems.co.uk. Priority 10
    MX1.epsilon-systems.co.uk. Priority 20

I need to be able to send/recieve from my own domain
    e.g. gary@epsilon-systems.co.uk.

Am I trying to go too far too quick??

Once again, sorry to be a pain in the proverbial but any halp is greatly appreciated!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoJock View Post
    I need to be able to send/recieve from my own domain
    e.g. gary@epsilon-systems.co.uk.
    Yes, you can use your own machine or registered domain to send & receive mails.

Am I trying to go too far too quick??
    Well,that depends on the experience.Before configuring my sendmail server i got no idea about ISP,domains or even sendmail (as i got no internet connection i not configdent abt these terms & how they work)....so it took plenty & plenty of time and effort for me to configure an outgoing sendmail server...If you already worked on networks stuffs(Got some idea abt domains,isp,protocols etc etc)..then that will be great

I would suggest you to first try and configure a outgoing mail server (first few days ignore pop3 or imap which are used for incoming mail servers)
    Try and send a mail from your domain to others (use gmail b'coz i faced difficulties with yahoo and others..if your mail works with gmail..then you are in right direction )

After successfully configuring an outgoing mail server then take up POP or IMAP and learn abt how to configure the incoming mail server (ie) from gmail to your domain

If you got any problem in outgoing mail server ...Let me know (Remember even i'm newbie in sendmail ....may be we can discuss abt the problem & hopefully find a soultion
    -----