Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Ubuntu LAMP 6.06 amd64, Headless Iptables (no front-end firewall running) Is there a simple and safe way to ssh setup/config iptables remotely without being blocked at time of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

A question on remotely setup iptables

Hi folks,

Ubuntu LAMP 6.06 amd64, Headless
    Iptables
    (no front-end firewall running)

Is there a simple and safe way to ssh setup/config iptables remotely without being blocked at time of setup/config.

ssl is running on the server. The ssh connection port is 2222

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

the easiest way to not get locked out is to test twice and implement once

by that I mean you should have as close of a mirror machine as you can get to test with (at home, office, whereever) running the same distro and same release level. Obviously things will be different but get that as close as possible and test on your test machine. if you don't have a physical spare machine then I would suggest vmware, you can get the server version for free.

sudo apt-cache search iptables
    there are lots of options
    ubuntu command line iptables - Google Search

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jledhead View Post
    the easiest way to not get locked out is to test twice and implement once

by that I mean you should have as close of a mirror machine as you can get to test with (at home, office, whereever) running the same distro and same release level. Obviously things will be different but get that as close as possible and test on your test machine. if you don't have a physical spare machine then I would suggest vmware, you can get the server version for free.

sudo apt-cache search iptables
    there are lots of options
    ubuntu command line iptables - Google Search
    Hi jledhead,

My goal is to find a solution connecting the server over Internet.

I have a server
    local IP : say; 111.222.333.444

a local machine
    local IP : say; 666.777.888.999

The server has working iptables rules on /etc/rc.local. On Intranet I can ssh connect the server on the local machine without problem testing new iptables rules. The connection won't be blocked on testing.

Now I'm prepared putting the server colocated. I'm searching a way how to ssh connect the server over Internet. Can I still run the command on shell/terminal to make connnection? OR I have to connect the server on a browser?

What rule shall I set only allowing the local machine to connect the server for admin including rules test?

TIA

B.R.
    satimis