Find the answer to your Linux question:
So i have an old computer sitting around and i want to make a home network. I have experience with windows server but it is too expensive for a simple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

creating a samba server with suse 10.3

So i have an old computer sitting around and i want to make a home network. I have experience with windows server but it is too expensive for a simple file server which is mainly what i want to make it. If i could make it a vpn server that would also be a bonus. I have experience with linux and have used suse version 9.2 so i decided to download the latest and try to configure a samba server. I have heard its not that bad just changing a config file or something. Can someone point me to a good article, i know there are tons out there that would tell me how to make a samba file server and domain and have vpn access so if i have my windows vista laptop on the road i could vpn in and remote desktop to my main computer? I know it might seem like a lot but i think its possible? Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks.

EDIT: I guess i should note that i want this configuration to work with computers running windows xp, windows vista, linux, and mac. Is this possible?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Check out the links at the bottom of this page.

Just Joined!
    i skimmed through the articles and it seems like just getting normal file sharing is a lot easier then setting up a domain controller. Anyway i found software called openvpn. Could i use this to set up the vpn access that i want and just skip creating a domain controller?

Quote Originally Posted by cwl157 View Post
    i skimmed through the articles and it seems like just getting normal file sharing is a lot easier then setting up a domain controller. Anyway i found software called openvpn. Could i use this to set up the vpn access that i want and just skip creating a domain controller?
    yes! u can have samba file sharing via openvpn.
    Just install & configure both samba & openvpn on your home server. Then try connect it from any client with valid vpn access.

Go & try, it will be fun!