Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

yes, there are alot of log files in here, which one am i wanting to look at?

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm fishing in the dark now as I don't have an environment setup like yours,

I would start by greping the lot looking for your script name, see if you get any hits...
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

The only log i can find which refers to my files is a one called syslog.log

which in it, it has:

Jul 14 11:40:01 ds4637 /USR/SBIN/CRON[26500]: (acornmedia) CMD (echo "cron test text" > /home/a/c/acornmedia/public_html/crontest2.txt)
    Jul 14 11:45:01 ds4637 /USR/SBIN/CRON[26726]: (acornmedia) CMD (echo "cron test text" > /home/a/c/acornmedia/public_html/crontest2.txt)
    Jul 14 11:45:01 ds4637 /USR/SBIN/CRON[26728]: (acornmedia) CMD (/usr/bin/php -q /home/a/c/acornmedia/public_html/tools/pingclient/cron.php > /dev/null)
    Jul 14 11:50:01 ds4637 /USR/SBIN/CRON[26945]: (acornmedia) CMD (echo "cron test text" > /home/a/c/acornmedia/public_html/crontest2.txt)
    Jul 14 11:55:01 ds4637 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27262]: (acornmedia) CMD (echo "cron test text" > /home/a/c/acornmedia/public_html/crontest2.txt)
    Jul 14 12:00:01 ds4637 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27608]: (acornmedia) CMD (echo "cron test text" > /home/a/c/acornmedia/public_html/crontest2.txt)
    Jul 14 12:00:01 ds4637 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27610]: (acornmedia) CMD (/usr/bin/php -q /home/a/c/acornmedia/public_html/tools/pingclient/cron.php > /dev/null)
    Jul 14 12:05:01 ds4637 /USR/SBIN/CRON[28112]: (acornmedia) CMD (echo "cron test text" > /home/a/c/acornmedia/public_html/crontest2.txt)

which i guess are the cronjobs that have been excuted this morning.

It still doesn't help explain why when i browse to my file on the web server, it works fine and sends me an email. yet when cron runs it, it does nothing. (yet it does look like its running from this log.)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    It's possible that two different php.ini files are being used

One by apache and one by the command line

You could try either a locate or find for php.ini to see if there is more than one on the system
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

I've managed to get the cron jobs working!

I've actually came across another problem which is puzzling me maybe even more so than the cron jobs.

Several of the cron.php files that i want to run check something then email the results to myself or a colleage.

Running them manually through a browser window works fine. they come to my work address no problem.

When the exact same file is run through cron the message isnt delivered to my work address, nor is it even caught in the spam filter. it seems to 'disserpear.'

testing both of these methods with the same file, except modifying it with my personal email both methods work fine.

Any ideas why the cron job one would be rejected by our server (im guessing??) yet the one from the exact same file yet through the browser is accepted and delivered. (the content of both messages, sender, subject, message contents. are all exactly the same!)

its driving me crazy