Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have limited experience and knowledge of Linux and Apache, but I have set up SUSE 10.3 and an Apache webserver. It is working just fine, with one major problem. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Read permissions in Apache

I have limited experience and knowledge of Linux and Apache, but I have set up SUSE 10.3 and an Apache webserver. It is working just fine, with one major problem. I cannot find a way to make the public_html folder default so that files I upload are readable on the web.

Of course, I can go into Nautilus and set the permissions for the entire folder to allow all users permission to read the contents, and files are then readable in any browser on the internet -- but any additional files I upload, are not visible -- browsers just see an "access forbidden" message.

If it makes a difference, my root folder is at /home/myusername/public_html

I have tried most everything my limited knowledge allows. I read one place about an unmask command that might be used, but I get "command not found." Someone suggested it might have to do with the username that Apache is running under. uid.config tells me that user is wwwrun and group is www -- but I don't know what to do to check whether that is a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Just Joined!
    One additional thing I noticed just now -- whenever I go back into Nautilus after uploading more files, and look at the permissions tab, the file access for owner, users, and others has reverted to a none. It is not just that I have to click "apply permissions to enclosed files" I also have to re-establish the file access settings.