Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to set up a Samba server with SLAX. Turns out that SLAX doesn't comes with Samba, and compiling it gave me a couple of errors (not finding ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Live USB Samba Server

I've been trying to set up a Samba server with SLAX. Turns out that SLAX doesn't comes with Samba, and compiling it gave me a couple of errors (not finding libraries, etc). FreeNAS doesn't seems to work either, just after booting on any mode spits out numerous of errors and I can't install it. OpenFiler is too big to install on a 1GB Flash stick, besides not recognizing it.

Anyone knows any preinstalled Live USB Linux distro that comes with Samba?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Just Joined!

cooperation-iws server

Hi,

If you are interested the cooperation-iws project (Cooperation-iws: Intranet Nomad Web Server) has samba server feature.

Either you download the CD / DVD image and convert it to Live USB with Ciws live-script.

Either you create your custom live USB with this Howto:
    How to make a nomad files server [Cooperation-iws [Wiki]]

Howto is based on 0.5.1 which shall be released soon.

Cheers,

Oliv

There is a way to make a live-cd version of Fedora into a live-usb, which can be edited/configured, etc. The tool to make this is available at fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator, beware that this tool requires a lesser operating system to run. You can do it from Linux by following the simple steps on the Fedora Project Wiki.

I used this method to create a live system from which I installed my eeePC with Fedora. The only problem is that I used a 2GB usb stick. It should work with 1 gig, but you need to put the LiveCD ISO image on the stick (about 650MB) and that doesn't leave a lot of room for other system stuff.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi,

The windows Live USB tool for fedora project is interesting, do you know if there will be persistent mode feature soon ?

Regards,

Oliv

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'persistent mode'. Do yo mean it maintains its settings and file system changes? If that's what you meant then it does do it. It's like having a real Linux system installed, except that it's running from a small USB stick. You can set the hostname and add users to it and have your own customised environment.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Well, I do not know about how fedora works, but with Ubuntu you need to have ext3 partition to save changes with Live USB: one partition for the Live data (squashfs, syslinux.cfg, ...) and one partition for persistence changes formatted in ext3.

I look at the python code and did not found ext3 partition creation, it is why I was wondering about persistent mode.

But maybe Fedora works differently,

Regards,

Oliv