Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a newly installed and configured FTP server I added to our network. Our network consists of 2 Linux fileservers, 1 Linux invoice server, 1 Linux firewall, and 1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sshd having some wierd issues.

I have a newly installed and configured FTP server I added to our network.

Our network consists of 2 Linux fileservers, 1 Linux invoice server, 1 Linux firewall, and 1 windows terminal server. On the newly added FTP server, sshd is set up so I can work on it and monitor it from my laptop. I sometimes, very rarely can connect via ssh from windows. Sometime's I get error "Connection refused" and other times "Software caused connection abort". I am using putty as my ssh client on windows. I also get kicked out with a connection reset error once I finally able to login with windows.

I can get in from any of the above Linux servers without there ever being an error or without ever being kicked out. The sshd config is almost the default config, any ideas why this happens with both windows pc's?

Thanks,

Trevor

Linux Newbie
    It could be an network or windows os issue instead of sshd.

If you can contineously login and stay connected with linux host means your port is contineously open and can be serve requests.

check sshd.log on server when your windows putty terminal closes connection abruptly.
    bigunix.blogspot.com
    Registered Linux User: #476440

Just Joined!
    Yea it's strange, our other servers are just fine, same sshd_config too, logs show nothing abnormal, I'm really unsure on what to do next... I will keep digging and post a solution if I find one.

The OS is Ubuntu 8.04 Server.

Linux Newbie
    - Strongly feeling it could be because of some network clinch.
    - Not sure about this but please check is there any timeout set on putty when it is idle or something like that.
    bigunix.blogspot.com
    Registered Linux User: #476440

Just Joined!
    Putty doesn't timeout on the other servers at all, just the new ftp server... I haven't had a chance to dig deeper yet. I will be getting to that this afternoon, will keep you updated.

T