Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi--to begin, thanks for your help. Also: I'm a newbie. I have successfully mapped a NT 2000 share to /mnt/music. As linux root, I am able to read and write ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mapping a windows share to a linux box

Hi--to begin, thanks for your help. Also: I'm a newbie.

I have successfully mapped a NT 2000 share to /mnt/music.

As linux root, I am able to read and write to the folder on the 2000 box both from the mount point and from a network browse (i.e. smb://sharing@windows2000/) .

As a user, however, I only have read access. Attempts to change the file attributes or ownership (while as root) fail, the error message saying that the smb protocol doesn't support changing file attributes or that root has insufficient access rights. I don't think that's the problem though....I have a suspicion that my mount technique is somehow incorrect. The files permissions on the 2000 machine are set for full read/write, so the problem isn't there.

Here is my fstab entry:
    //windows2000/music /home/cm/music smbfs username=sharing,password=default 0 0

Any ideas how I extend read/write permissions to the user level?
    Thanks, I will respond quickly with any additional needed info.

I'm using SUSE 9.1 Personal.

Just Joined!
    I'm something of a Linux newbie, but here goes. I would try setting up a user account which is the same on the Linux machine and on the W2000 machine, same name, same password. Remember, root has no authority in Windows, and making root and aministrator synonymous is not neccessarily desirable or possible.