Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey I've been trying to set up mysql on my Opensuse machine but when i try to use the mysql_install_db i get this error: Click me ^^ According to this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] mysql_install_db Error

Hey

I've been trying to set up mysql on my Opensuse machine but when i try to use the mysql_install_db i get this error: Click me ^^

According to this site it's a bug but that was back in 2007 but one would assume that has been fixed, i've looked in the code anyway and can not find any passages that resemble what they have posted so i'm somewhat lost

Can anyone help me out?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    How did you install openSUSE? If you use the openSUSE RPM packages then there is no need to run mysql_install_db.

Just Joined!
    I installed it from a bootable dvd image v11.0 i386 so i'd think that i didn't use RPM packages? I'm very newbie :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you installed from the openSUSE discs then you are using RPM packages. There is no need to run mysql_install_db.

Just Joined!
    Meaning what? That Mysql is already setup/configured or what? I'm not sure where to go on from here then to make sure it's "up and running"

If you use distro packages, that usually means that mysql was already setup for you and the next step is to configure it to suite your needs and start using it. For openSUSE, take a look at the openSUSE mysql website for details on what to do next.

Just Joined!
    Alright, i'll do that, thanks alot!