Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have a dedicated Ububtu 6.06 Server running Web, MySQL for a client. It is also running postfix to enable the sending of emails from the site to the client. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Postfix listening for a domain it shouldn't!

We have a dedicated Ububtu 6.06 Server running Web, MySQL for a client. It is also running postfix to enable the sending of emails from the site to the client.

However, postfix seems to think that it is listening for emails to the domain and we are getting bounces from maildrop as the user doesn't exist. Strangely, these bounces will arrive in our clients inbox!

Postfix was preinstalled and the initial configuration was apparently done using the matrix control panel in case that makes a difference.

My question is; how do I stop postfix listening for emails to a specific domain while still allowing sending?

The only thing I have been able to find so far is a directory called virtual_domains. In there was a series of empty files with the domain names. I have moved these to a backup directory and restarted postfix. I am not confident that this will work...
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I can't believe that I got it

virtual_domains should be a file not a directory so I corrected that and added the domain name. I added the relay info to the transport file and rebuilt the transport db

A quick restart of postfix later and things seemed to work.

I award myself one of these
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent