Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I'm trying to setup a server at my house and I'm having a few problems. Currently I've configured two static IP's. One to my router and the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Home Server Setup

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to setup a server at my house and I'm having a few problems. Currently I've configured two static IP's. One to my router and the other to my server. I'm able to access the internet from my router but I only have limited connectivity to my server.

homeSetup.gif

By limited I mean I can ssh,ping and access my websites only via connections that are through my router. I cannot ssh into my server from an external IP, ping, or view the websites externally

eth0 seems fine but I can't figure out why I cannot ssh externally... thank you in advance.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    inet addr:xxx.xxx.xx.xx Bcast:xxx.xxx.xx.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: xxxx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1929 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:3274 errors:33 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:66
    collisions:143 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:206196 (201.3 KiB) TX bytes:637850 (622.9 KiB)
    Interrupt:21 Base address:0xac00

Most ISP providers now block common ports to customers who are not Business customers.
    I think this is why you are having his issue. You could call your provider and ask they will let you know.

Hind out this information first then we can look deeper into this.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Robert,

Thanks for the quick response. That was my original thought as well. I checked with my dsl provider and they only block port 25.

netstat yields:

tcp 0 0 *:http *:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN

I'm going to setup nmap and see if I can find out anything else. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks!!

-Lawrence

Linux Guru
    Your diagram shows DSL > Hub (switch or really a hub?) > Router / Server

Normally, the ISP only allows one (public) IP to be used...

Where did these IP's come from and do you have 2 IP's from your ISP?

Just Joined!
    HROAdmin26,

Its a hub. With my dsl plan I get 8 static IP's. I currently have 2 setup through my ISP.

-Lawrence

Linux Guru
    So the settings for subnet mask, gateway, nameservers are the same between your router config and server?

Can you get on your server and browse external sites? Ping Google, etc?

1) If you *can*, then the issue is limited to inbound data. That goes to what Lazydog said about the ISP blocking incoming ports. (And in my experience, what some helpdesk person tells you may not be correct...) I would make sure iptables is disabled, enable some logging like tcpdump, and then try and connect from an external location. Check the log to see if requests are making it to your server.

2) If you can't browse external sites, then it's probably a network config issue on the server - or the ISP isn't allowing the IP. (Maybe *reverse* the IP's being used by the router and server?)

HTH.

Just Joined!
    I apologize for the delayed response but I've been swamped at work.

To fix the issue I ended up switching the IP's that the router and server were using and everything started working. I have no idea why that would make a difference but it did. Prior to this I had already unplugged and reset everything multiple times. Anyways I'm stoked!

Robert and HTH thanks for your time