Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a rather odd issue that I'm sure more then one sysadmin has faced in the past. I have a large number of systems of various Distro and even ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Updating an entire environment

I have a rather odd issue that I'm sure more then one sysadmin has faced in the past. I have a large number of systems of various Distro and even versions of those distros in my network and I need a way to manage updates on them in one nice little "management" circle so the higher ups can micro manage.

I've reviewed a few platforms such as SpaceWalk for CentOS and am currently using RHN to update the massive amounts of RH 3-5's I have. Does anyone know an ubuntu package that might make updating these boxes a little more "WSUS" if you will...

No, webmin is not, and will never be an option.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by comminuo View Post
    No, webmin is not, and will never be an option.
    That's sort of a funny approach. Pick the one Open Source project that does exactly what you want, and for nearly all Linux platforms, and declare that it is not an option.

Mind if I ask why not? (I'm one of the Webmin developers. If there's some sort of problem you believe Webmin has for this particular use case or any other that it attempts to address, we'd like to know about it.)

Quote Originally Posted by comminuo View Post
    Does anyone know an ubuntu package that might make updating these boxes a little more "WSUS" if you will...
    looks like someone is at least thinking about it
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UpdateServer

the only other thing I could think if you have quite a few ubuntu servers is to host your own apt repository and keep it as up-to-date as your want (or not up-to-date) and then point all of your ubu servers at it and setup cron to auto install using apt-get.

just curious, how does spacewalk for you? I haven't been able to get my hands on it (since I don't use RH or Cent) but it looks very cool.

and I am a very big fan of webmin and use it whenever I can for whatever purpose I can, sorry it doesn't work for you.