Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I just set up an apache server on fc9, but now I am testing it out and it seems to only work locally... i can't get the test ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Apache only works locally

Hey everyone, I just set up an apache server on fc9, but now I am testing it out and it seems to only work locally... i can't get the test page up from another host on the network, and it also doesn't answer telnet on port 80. Yes, im a noob, so I probably overlooked something obvious. Help please!

Have you the iptables service running? I think this runs by default in FC9 so it's more than likely blocking Apache/Port 80. You can either add a rule for Apache or disable it altogether.

Just Joined!
    When I was setting up I turned off the firewall, and the guide I was following (howtoforge) said to run iptables -L to verify it was off, it says iptables -L should display
    Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    but on mine, it displays

Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
    ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:ssh 
    REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited 

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
    REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited 

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    Anyway, something tells me I didn't successfully disable the firewall or iptables or whichever it is. How do I disable it? Thanks

Just Joined!
    umm ok... I ran system-config-firewall again, which brings up the gui. it showed that the firewall was disabled, but just for kicks i enabled the firewall and checked the box next to http, and then whaddya know? it works. even dumber, i turned it right back off, and it still works. weird!

Well thanks for your help!