Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I have been able to install Postgresql relatively easily and I have also managed to start the Postmaster as per the instructions in the PostgreSQL 7.2 Administrators guide. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Challenge starting Postgresql postmaster automatically

Hi Everyone,

I have been able to install Postgresql relatively easily and I have also managed to start the Postmaster as per the instructions in the PostgreSQL 7.2 Administrators guide. The commands I have used successfully to start the postmaster have been:

postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

and

pg_ctl start -l logfile /usr/local/pgsql/data

I have however had some problems trying to get the postmaster to start automatically at bootup. I am using a Red Hat Version 8 intall and have tried modifying the /etc/rd.d/rc.local file to include this line:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -l logfile /usr/local/pgsql/data

This modification has not been successful. Does anybody know how to effectively modify a Red Hat V8 intall so that the postmaster starts automatically?

Thanks

David
    :roll:

Just Joined!

Post SysV postmaster startup wth sudo

For a default or YUM installation, make sure you know where your data directory is and then add this line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

su -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -D <PATH TO DATA DIRECTORY> -o -i -W' postgres

This will start postmaster under the postgres credential using the DATA DIRECTORY you specify.

Hope that helps!