Find the answer to your Linux question:
My company uses multiple servers (some Linux, some Windows) to run our software. The servers are not in the same location and they do not all run the same software. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multiple Server Email Configuration Without Spam Blocking?

My company uses multiple servers (some Linux, some Windows) to run our software. The servers are not in the same location and they do not all run the same software. But, we need to be able to send emails from code running on each of these servers. (I'm not incredibly worried about the Windows ones at this time. Just the Linux ones.)

We no longer handle company email in-house. After months of fighting with Zimbra to get it to work properly, we ended up letting google for our domain handle our incoming emails. And, when we send emails through our email clients, we use gmail's smtp servers. No problem there.

The problem is that google's smtp servers are way too slow for us to use when the code sends emails. For that, I would prefer to use postfix, sendmail, dovecot or whatever is on the individual server.

Getting the servers configured to send email is also not a problem. Each server can send emails. What is the problem is that the emails from these servers gets blocked as spam.

What is the proper way for me to configure these servers so that even though our MX records for our domain point to google, that we can use our own sending capabilities and have the world recognize mail coming from these servers as coming from us? Each sever will host numerous subdomains that emails will come from.

Another thought - is there any way to use a mail server of some sort on each server to queue up emails and send them through our google smtp account so that the code could 'send' the email to that queue and return and then the server could funnel it through google as fast or as slow as google could handle it?

At some point, I will rewrite the code on some of the applications to put the emails in an outgoing queue instead of trying to send them directly. But, even so, I would dearly love to get this problem resolved so that we can quickly send out emails from our applications.

Thanks,
    Amy

Linux Newbie
    Hello Amy,

Is that your applications send a huge amount of emails. please let me know which language your script works ? And is your Linux serves act as mail relay
    servers.
    Regards
    David Anand
    -->Success is the list of failures ...!!!

Just Joined!
    The applications are written in php. Right now, one is used by the sales staff and sends out bulk emails to their clients. (Not spam. We're talking about 40 clients at a time sent by one salesguy) The other application is installed many times on many servers. Each installation could send out as few as five emails or as many as a couple of hundred in a 24-hour period. These emails go to doctors and other medical workers who aren't tech-savvy. So, it's pretty important that these messages don't go to a spam bucket. Many doctors are surprisingly computer illiterate and wouldn't be able to white-list us.

Each box, right now, is set up to send its own emails and not relay to another server. But, if relaying to google or something else is the way to go, I just need to know how to configure it. (A link to a decent how-to would be appreciated.) We run Centos 5 and Ubuntu primarily.

Ordinarily, I would just configure the apps to use our SMTP server, but Google is just way too slow.

Linux Newbie
    google,yahoo,hot mail servers never allow you to relay mails coz they
    wont have sender id ..... if you send not more than few hundred of emails create an relay server in Linux configure it with send mail.. and relay out the mails from that 5 linux boxes to the relay server....configure the mx to relay and such that failure goes to your domain
    Regards
    David Anand
    -->Success is the list of failures ...!!!