Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have RT 3.6 installation running, but unable to succesfully configure email notifications. Users contribute tickets using only the web interface, so we do not use "fetchmail" process to generate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RT 3.6 notifications failing - *almost* always

I have RT 3.6 installation running, but unable to succesfully configure email notifications. Users contribute tickets using only the web interface, so we do not use "fetchmail" process to generate tickets. However, outgoing RT email notifications to requesters and watchers is where I, an RT and linux newbie, need help.

RT frequently displays ".... Outgoing email recorded" on tickets, and saves/shows a message based on appropriate template, so the scrips appear to be triggering. However, no mail is sent EXCEPT OCCASIONALLY! - one staff "superuser" with a mailbox outside the local domain has gotten a number of notification emails, but even that user gets far fewer than RT says it is sending to him and others. Postfix always says it is running when checked ( /etc/init.d/postfix status), have tried reloading and restarting it anyway just to be sure. Our firewall allows any address from inside to send SMTP msgs. Tried other mailboxes to send to inside and outside our firewall, and so far no body has gotten a notifications but the one superuser.

My general RT setup is according to the instructions by the DebianAdmin in
    Howto setup Request-Tracker 3.6 on Debian Etch -- Debian Admin which gives several configuration tips on fetchmail, but nothing for configuring postfix. Found and followed basic postfix config support in Postfix Basic Configuration, but still no joy.

What do these symptoms point to? Found a similar question posted on this forum, but no replies. Not even sure where to look next, help please!

Versions installed:
    RTversion: 3.6.5-1
    Postfix 2.5.1-2ubuntu1.1
    DB: MySQL 5.0.51a-3ubuntu

Just Joined!
    Made significant progress. Without basic "reverse lookup" PTR records in the company's DNS, apparently most mail systems regarded email connections coming from our new "Ticket" server as spam. Soon as we added the DNS record, RT email notifications started flowing to a number of email systems (Yahoo, XO, Google, etc.) So this wasn't an RT config issue as much as a basic smtp email issue. Now, if I could only figure out how to get our local Exchange server to accept the Ticket email....