Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a newbie to Linux but so far am loving it. I googled this question like crazy but all i found was information on outsourcing dyn dns to someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is dynamic dns something I can do myself?

I am a newbie to Linux but so far am loving it. I googled this question like crazy but all i found was information on outsourcing dyn dns to someone else. I'd rather get this setup myself. Anyway, i'm running Gentoo on an xbox behind a home dsl line with a dynamic IP. I have another xbox (running gentoo) at another location behind a static ip that takes care of my DNS (named). My question is, can't I setup the static xbox to take care of dynamic dns for the xbox behind the dynamic ip? Any links to info/programs would be GREAT. And sorry if this has been posted before or is obvious. If so, please just tell me and i'll keep hunting. Thanks.

P.S~I'm running the dynamic xbox behind a cisco 678 with all the ports forwarded, and it works great UNTIL the ip changes.

Can you clarify what you want to do a bit? I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here...Do you want the named server to refresh its entry for the dynamic xbox whenever the IP changes? I'm sure that you can edit one of the dyndns updating scripts to do that. If that's not what you want to do, elaborate some more please.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Sure, sorry about not being clear. Named and Bind run on the Static xbox and takes care of DNS for my dynamic xbox. Now, I want the static xbox to take care of IP changes on the dynamic xbox and refresh the dns with the correct IP. Is that clearer? I just dont know how to do it. Should the static xbox look at the IP on the dynamic xbox every X minutes and if it senses a change, update its records like that? I have no idea how to go about it. Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm not quite sure how you would go about doing that...

You could maybe have a script change your ip in a local named.conf and upload that automatically to the server...

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy