Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Please help! Hey everyone, I run a mustang website. Relocate I made the html portion of the website, and I keep it up to date. Well I did, up until ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please help!

Please help!
    Hey everyone, I run a mustang website. Relocate

I made the html portion of the website, and I keep it up to date. Well I did, up until January when our FTP went offline.

So me and the rest of the staff @ sn95forums, Emailed our server owner asking for help. He refuses. He either doesn't answer emails, or askes the same stupid question, which is what is your root password. Well I got him on the phone, he told me I needed to use shell access to fix the problem...

Well. I don't know anything about root passwords or shell access. I tried rebooting our server, that didn't work. I'm good with HTML, but anything else I'm lost.

I don't even know where to begin figuring this out. But I am very motivated right now. I need some direction. Please help me figure this out.

----------------

Server Information

Hostname - 6679167162.us.coreisp.nl
    Plesk version - psa v8.0.0_build80060331.13 os_CentOS 4.2
    Operating system - Linux 2.6.9-11.EL

---------------

Last login: Wed Sep 10 17:50:46 2008 from ool-43537c37.dyn.optonline.net
    -bash-3.00$ ftp
    ftp> open
    (to) sn95forums.com
    Connected to sn95forums.com.
    421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
    ftp>

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Do you have ssh access to the system? If so, ssh into the machine and look at the logs for the ftp server. I'm surprised that the owner of the servers won't help, it doesn't seem like its a good way to treat your customers. Maybe what you need is a dedicated server admin if you are not well versed with running servers.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    Do you have ssh access to the system? If so, ssh into the machine and look at the logs for the ftp server. I'm surprised that the owner of the servers won't help, it doesn't seem like its a good way to treat your customers. Maybe what you need is a dedicated server admin if you are not well versed with running servers.
    Lol... yeah, a dedicated server admin would come in handy...

How do I look at the ftp logs? I don't know any ssh code...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    SSH (secure shell) is a mechanism that allows you to login to a system remotely and usually thats setup for you by whoever is providing you with the servers. What you need to do is use a Linux terminal or Putty in Windows to login to the server and look at the logs. As to how to look at the ftp logs, it depends on the ftp server you are using. The logs would be located in /var/log e.g. for proftpd, the log file would be named /var/log/proftpd.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    SSH (secure shell) is a mechanism that allows you to login to a system remotely and usually thats setup for you by whoever is providing you with the servers. What you need to do is use a Linux terminal or Putty in Windows to login to the server and look at the logs. As to how to look at the ftp logs, it depends on the ftp server you are using. The logs would be located in /var/log e.g. for proftpd, the log file would be named /var/log/proftpd.
    ok... in the dir /var/log there are alot of file...

several are boot.log (some have numbers after the .log, ex boot.log.1)
    there are a few cron files (ex cron, cron.1, cron.2)
    there are a few mysqlg.log (again, like the boot logs with numbers following some)
    one is yum.log

any idea which I'm looking for?

I wouldn't know the log to look at as this depends on the ftp server being used on the system. Look for a log that as the substring "ftp". If unsure ask your server provider.

As an F-body guy, I refuse to help you. Haha.

Are there any directories? Do you know how to take screenshots? I'd like to see the file listing.

Is there a website login at your host, where they display log files or anything like that?
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by harner View Post
    As an F-body guy, I refuse to help you. Haha.

Are there any directories? Do you know how to take screenshots? I'd like to see the file listing.

Is there a website login at your host, where they display log files or anything like that?
    lol... cool... a car guy...

I actually have to run out the door now. I will get screen shots tonight...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help!

Any updates, 5.0 guy?
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

Just Joined!
    Sorry it took me so long. Busy as hell...

Here is the screen shot you requested.

http://www.sn95forums.com/greg/screenshot.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast