Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know how to create an account that would only be used locally? I don't anyone from outside to be able to send to this account or alias. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sendmail - creating a local only account

Does anyone know how to create an account that would only be used locally? I don't anyone from outside to be able to send to this account or alias. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson4x4 View Post
    Does anyone know how to create an account that would only be used locally? I don't anyone from outside to be able to send to this account or alias. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    That is interesting.

The way your local mail is routed is using the same tools as your regular mail. So sending from one user to the other should be receveived by sendmail, routed to procmail or mailscanner, clamav/spamassassin, and then to the mailbox.

So sendmial listens to everything and the account has to be set up.

I would suggest in procmail or spamasassin simply adding specs on the to and from

from - must be from @locahost (try this out first, could be your hostname instead)
    to - user@localhost

I really do not see how you could be getting mail unless you have it set up as a mailbox for a virthost. Unless the sender is sending to 'user@locahost' which is hard to do.

but you, in my opinion, have to do some things to weed out mails from outside.

or maybe there is something I am missing and you can just add a dev/null to the account somehow.