Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
First of all, english is not my first language, so if something is unclear, I'll try to explain it in more detail. I am looking for a server/client solution for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Directory Server

First of all, english is not my first language, so if something is unclear, I'll try to explain it in more detail.

I am looking for a server/client solution for linux (Ubuntu Server).

The server is supposed to be a Microsoft Active Directory like server.

Here is the requirements or whatever its called:

Small Buisniss, server doesn't need to scale to thousands of users, dozens at most.

Server needs to handle users logging on, home areas for every user, 2 public areas (1 shared area and 1 limited ie: 1 R/W 1 R).

I also need a way to svolve backups of all areas.

The server will most likely (99% certainty) run a Ubuntu server.

I know about Fedora directory server, but never really tried it.

I appreciate any answers.

I don't necesseraly need a single package that does this, several different types of software can be used. It all have to be free (moneywise) tough.

I use Fedora Directory server, but I use CentOS as the host platform.

You'll need some extra tools, but they are all free, mature and stable. I'll assume that the machines being supported are windows XP or Linux desktops, probably a mix...

- Samba to share services to windows - this'll be used for server shares and single-point logons. I have this configured and it's the hardest bit of all. Fortunately the internet is packed with information about how to do it. Google is your friend.

- NFS to share the server filesystem between Linux computers.

- Fedora DS, which requires that you know a little about LDAP (the database style is uses, much like AD). It does try to lead you as much as it can.

You cannot do this install without knowing a little about it before you start; to learn this I suggest you set it up in a test environment first - you'll learn loads about LDAP and Samba and making them work.

And dont forget if you struggle, we can help here by answering specific questions.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I use Fedora Directory server, but I use CentOS as the host platform...
    Thank you for your reply.

All the user clients are going to be Ubuntu, so, does that mean that samba won't be necessary? Thanks for reminding me about it tough, I had actually forgot about it, I'll take it into consideration and add it into the documentation when explaining possibilities of the system.

NFS I haven't really heard about, but I'll research it, any additional info on NFS is appreciated tough.

Fedora DS is Fedora Directory Server, right?

I am sad to say that I don't have time to try a test environment before setting this up, but that doesn't really matter. This is all going to be done on Thursday. Which is a funny deadline for something I have never done before, but it will have to do.

I will probably struggle some, so expect me to return.

Just Joined!
    As far as backups go I figure I will use cron over SSH, but I have had some trouble setting it up before, if anyone could point me towards a detailed guide, I would be very thankfull, as the most updated guide I have found was from 1999.

BTW: Would I need a DNS server for FDS to work? I know that with MS AD I need a DNS server, but I so far I haven't found anything on wether I would need one for Fedora DS.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Wrongo View Post
    As far as backups go I figure I will use cron over SSH, but I have had some trouble setting it up before, if anyone could point me towards a detailed guide, I would be very thankfull, as the most updated guide I have found was from 1999.

BTW: Would I need a DNS server for FDS to work? I know that with MS AD I need a DNS server, but I so far I haven't found anything on wether I would need one for Fedora DS.
    If you have only a dozen employees, i believe you can get around a DNS server by using the /etc/hosts file. It does not scale nicely, and you will have to replicate it accross all machine, but it will work if you are diligent, and for less than 30 computers, it may be easier and faster to do. Just be warned that this will bite you in the butt if you try to make it go beyond a small environment.

I would also forget about ssh for backups. Go with rsync. It will only updates files that have changed, uses a similar syntax as scp (ssh copy) and is pretty good IMO for small scale backups.

I would also recommend using centOS for this, but i am biased towards redhat (centOS is a rebranded RedHat enterprise linux, that is exactly the same, but without logos.
    If you decide to use centOS, then
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    is a GOLD MINE of information. even if you dont, most of the information can be used for ubuntu. If i think of anything else i'll update my post.

Good luck, it sounds like your going to need it ..... Thursday is an insane deadline.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

OH, to add to it, that guide i posted has information on NFS. NFS is used to share information over the network to *nix machines, in a similar fasion to how microsoft does with smb, just causes a lot less noise on the network.

if you know how to use cron, then to use rsync, just replace host with the hostname of your client and on your server type.

rsync host:/location/to/backup /backup/location

Of course i would make a shell script with all of your machines in it, and call that with cron, not make dozens of backup entries in cron. Also, if your going to do it with cron, you need to setup an ssh keypair so it is all non-interactive.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Well I was planning on using a cronned RSync job over SSH, but is there a option of running RSync without SSH, because this is supposed to be remote backups, altough I can always do backups to a extarnal hard drive?

I have only tried doing this before over SSH, and that didn't work that well because I couldn't get the SSH Keys to work(its complicated, but I didn't have the root password to the server among other things).

Perhaps the backup should be run as a regular user on the remote system. When you specify the rsync or ssh username, give a full username, e.g. 'user@host.com', or to use meton_magis' example above:

rsync user@host:/location/to/backup /backup/location

You could use ssh or scp (i.e. 'secure copy'), but rsync can use the same secure channel, and only backup by diffs.

The server does not have to be the same as the desktop systems, you could easily use CentOS or Debian for this, or any one of the other top server distributions. If you have no Windows clients, you wont need Samba, which is great news - it makes the system very much simpler. If you use Fedora DS (yes, it's 'Fedora Directory Server') all you have to do is insert posix users into the system, and it'll provide the right schema (i.e. field layout).

Then you just have to provide shared homes (if you want) and set each client to use LDAP authentication. I don't know how to do that on Ubuntu, though.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I started installing Fedora DS on the Ubuntu Server today. Spent some time installing the gui, but after that was done I started working on FDS.

I followed this guide, and it allowed me to work pretty painlessly trough the installation process, up to the point where I am supposed to cp the install.inf file. I couldn't find install.inf, I did find setup.inf, but by looking at the contents of the file, its not the correct one, anyone got a solution to this problem?

The only thing I have done that the guide didn't telll me to do was to try and run the console. The console started up, but it told me that it couldn't find the server.

BTW: I did a system search for install.inf, and I couldn't find diddly, so its apperently not in the system at all, should I try reinstalling FDS?
    If so, what would be the proper way to uninstall FDS?

Just Joined!

I svolved my previous problem, apparently, I didn't add the fds group or user, so I added the group and user, then ran the setup again, and this time, install.inf showed up where it was supposed to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast