Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! first of all, i'm pretty much a n00b, I know how to get around on the command line, but mainly just enough to be dangerous. anyway, I've got a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Sendmail SMTP help!

Hello!
    first of all, i'm pretty much a n00b, I know how to get around on the command line, but mainly just enough to be dangerous.

anyway, I've got a dedicated linux server on a fibre connection that I use mainly for web hosting. I've been working on getting sendmail to work for out going mail from mail clients, I can receive mail via imap & pop3 no problem.
    however I can't sendmail, and I'm getting some strange errors while trying to problem solve this.

also I've been going over the manual here: Technical: Configuring Sendmail | Dausha Communications without any luck.

when I use MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online I get these results:

PHP Code:
    Bannerserver.domain.domain ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1Mon29 Sep 2008 16:13:33 -0400 [94 ms]  
    Connect Time0.047 seconds Good 
    Transaction Time
    0.375 seconds Good 
    Relay Check
    OK This server is not an open relay
    Rev DNS CheckOK 74.*.*.* resolves to 74-*-*-*.domain.com 
    GeoCode Info
    Geocoding server is unavailable 
    Session Transcript
    HELO please-read-policy.mxtoolbox.com 
    250 server
    .domain.com Hello mxtb-pws1.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.131], pleased to meet you [47 ms
    MAIL FROM: <test@mxtoolbox.com
    250 2.1.0 <test@mxtoolbox.com>... Sender ok [78 ms
    RCPT TO: <test@mxtoolbox.com
    550 5.7.1 <test@mxtoolbox.com>... Relaying denied [47 ms
    QUIT 
    221 2.0.0 server
    .domain.com closing connection [62 ms
    which seems ok?

but when I try to telnet to port 25 from any computer/connection, and even the local system via ssh. i get this error:

[root@server mail]# telnet sever.domain.com:25
    telnet: sever.domain.com:25: Name or service not known

any ideas would be a big help as I'm pretty much stuck at this point.

thanks in advance for your time!!
    -Ken

telnet server.domain.com 25

space not a colon. I've done that error many times.

HOWEVER, i wouldn't use telnet to connect like that. It will work, but technicaly telnet is not for connecting to non telnet ports. Use netcat (the command is `nc`)

$ nc server.domain.com 25

You probably see no difference, and i'm probably just nitpicking, but netcat is made specificaly that kind of thing, where telnet is made to get a remote shell on a computer running the telnetd daemon.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    ah I see. well atleast I'm getting a response now!

however, I'm now getting this error:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'angstsix@gmail.com'. Subject 'new email', Account: 'domain.com', Server: 'domain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 <user@gmail.com>... Relaying denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I've enabled "My server requires auth" for out going mail in Outlook Express.
    but thats not working. does any one know how I can enable this function?

thanks again for all your help!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well i'm deffinately no expert in e-mail, so my help with the telnet / netcat is as far as i can help you. the only thing i could recomend, is putting your error number into google, and seeing what it comes up with.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Linux Newbie
    hi,

can you telnet ip 25 and as well as when you send out an email from server what is the error message you get ?
    Regards
    David Anand
    -->Success is the list of failures ...!!!

Just Joined!
    make sure you recieve before you send. This can be done by clicking the down arrow next to the "Send/Receive" button in Outlook Express, clicking "Receive all" then sending the email using "Send All"