Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I need to identify my remote system is on or off.how do i check it?Is it possible to use ssh?using ssh at present i can do remote login ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Remote Access

Hi everyone,
    I need to identify my remote system is on or off.how do i check it?Is it possible to use ssh?using ssh at present i can do remote login n logout.from there i can find what application is running.what i need to know is i have to check whether the system is on or off.what command should i use it in terminal.pls help me.

Regards,
    Ashok.

Are you trying to determine whether or not your computer is on or off, or are you trying to monitor a particular process running on that computer?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

man ping
    info ping

ping server_name
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    man ping
    info ping

ping server_name
    Ping isn't a complete solution here. Many sysadmins turn off ping, so it's not always helpful, so it will only say if the system is 'on', it can never tell you if it's off.

Using ssh here will tell you if the system is up. If you want to know about processes, log in using ssh then run the 'ps' command, maybe filtering through grep if you're looking for something specific, e.g.:

Code:
    ps -a|grep firefox
    to tell you if anyone is running Firefox on the remote system.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

nmap ... don't use it on any computers that are not your own though, alot of people will scorn at it's use. but nmap is a VERY useful diagnostic, and security tool. I suggest anyone who is into network security or and kind of remote services learn to use it. It will only tell you if the system is recieving TCP/IP connections, but if you disabled ping, I dont know of any way to contact a system WITHOUT network being up anyway.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Linux Newbie
    to check the remote system is on you can ping it or you can use
    centralops.net for service scan it checks all major ports it just click the
    service scan ....For particular application that is working or not you can set up an trip wire or some alert to your mail if the application has failed.
    Regards
    David Anand
    -->Success is the list of failures ...!!!