Help me figure out why access to this samba server from a Windows XP machine is so slow! Windows XP machines are set up to access the share through a UNC path with the IP address like \\192.168.1.13\files so name resolution shouldn't be a problem, right?


I have two samba servers on two separate machines.

The old server is running CentOS 5.
The old server is FAST. Access to samba from XP is FAST.
The old server is running smbd version 3.0.28-0.el4.9
Linux 2.6.9-34.EL
Chipset nVidia MCP51
Onboard NIC: MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)

The new server is running Debian Stable.
Most of the smb.conf came from old server config.
Access to samba from XP is SLOW.
The new server is running smbd version 3.0.24
Linux 2.6.18-6-686
Chipset is Intel Corporation 82801G / "Intel DG31PR"
Onboard NIC: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

Here is the smb.conf on the new/slow server

Code:
[global]

   workgroup = workgroup
   netbios name = Files2
   
   level2 oplocks = no
   oplocks = no
   
   server string = Files2
   
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
   
   load printers = no
   printing = bsd
   
   guest account = aip
   
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   log level = 2
   max log size = 50
   
   security = share
   
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   
   wins server = 192.168.1.12
   dns proxy = no
   
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   template shell = /bin/false
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   password server = None
   encrypt passwords = no
   winbind use default domain = no


#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[files]
	path = /home/files/files
	writable = yes
	writeable = yes
	public = yes
	read only = no

[backup]
	path = /home/backup
	writable = no
	public = yes

[daily]
	path = /home/daily
	writable = no
	public = yes

Here is the smb.conf from the old/fast server

Code:
[global]
workgroup = workgroup
netbios name = Files1

level2 oplocks = no
oplocks = no

server string = Files1 

hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

load printers = no

printing = bsd

guest account = aip

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50

security = share

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

wins server = 192.168.1.12

dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
	idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
	idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
	template shell = /bin/false
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	password server = None
	encrypt passwords = no
	winbind use default domain = no
[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	browseable = no
	writeable = yes

[files]
	path = /mnt/files/files
	writeable = yes
	only guest = yes
	public = yes
	force group = aip

[backup]
	path = /mnt/backup
	writeable = no
	only guest = yes
	public = yes
	force group = aip


[daily]
	path = /mnt/daily
	writeable = no
	only guest = yes
	public = yes
	force group = aip
On the new/slow server, I changed these values in an attempt to solve the problem:

8388608 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
8388608 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
65536 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
65536 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default


edit: I added this to smb.conf under [global] on the new/slow server in an attempt to solve the problem

Code:
domain master = Yes
local master = Yes
preferred master = Yes
os level = 64

edit: I changed these values on the new server

Code:
level2 oplocks = yes
oplocks = yes

I also removed these lines

Code:
	idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
	idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
	template shell = /bin/false
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

No apparent speed changes.