Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have used SUSE (9.x) and found it very easy to setup as a desktop. My choice this time was goign to be Ubuntu (6.x) but I tried Ubuntu desktop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Rethink about server Linux

I have used SUSE (9.x) and found it very easy to setup as a desktop. My choice this time was goign to be Ubuntu (6.x) but I tried Ubuntu desktop some time back and could not get it to network with my Windows PCs.

Any opinions as to which one is likely to be easiest to setup and use as a sever?

As a server, the latest version of SuSE may be the most useful to you if you're more familiar with it. Ubuntu has a server version available, but if you dont like Ubuntu, then there's plenty of other options for you to consider.

The other big boys here are Debian, which has a huge reputation for stability and solidness, and CentOS which is built from RedHat Enterprise Linux sources, so has huge backing. CentOS is my preference, but only because I've used it a lot and I've very familiar, your choice should be based on your needs.

There's plenty of others too - potentially any Linux distribution can be used to run your server, so take a look down the list at Distrowatch.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/