Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am new to linux, and very excited about getting into it . I installed Ubuntu, I believe the desktop edition because it does have a GUI. It's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie needs Apache install help

Hi All,

I am new to linux, and very excited about getting into it . I installed Ubuntu, I believe the desktop edition because it does have a GUI. It's running great, but I tried to install apache, and I am getting the "./configure No such file or directory" error. I have been following the install instructions from this website. Is the apache folder supposed to be on my desktop or should I move it? Also, I have tried just doing a "./configure --help" command in the terminal and I get the same error message. Any suggestions? FYI, i've tried many paths to replace PREFIX, but still haven't got it.

Thanks

If you're trying to make your install into a LAMP server, you actually don't need to compile everything from scratch. Ubuntu makes it very easy to do so. If you're using Gnome, just go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager. A new window will pop up. Click Edit->Mark Packages by Task->LAMP Server->Apply. This will download and install all of the LAMP components.

If you just want apache, do a search for it in Synaptic and mark the packages you want. Using this method, you won't be installing MySQL or PHP.

Just Joined!
    Thrillhouse,

Great directions, unfortunately I am definately missing something. When I go to the >Mark Packages by Task, I don't have LAMP Server listed. I have: Open SSH Server, Print Server, Samba File Server, and Ubuntu Desktop. When I do the search for it in Synaptic, when I look in "Description and Name", I get two files (packages?). They are librpc-xml-perl and libssl0.9.8. I wasn't sure if either of those are what I am looking for. Do I need to download the LAMP server first? Thanks again in advance.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    or,

you can open a terminal window/command prompt and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 mysql-server php5-mysql

Just Joined!
    Thanks, but I actually just installed the Ubuntu server with LAMP and I am currently installing the Ubuntu-Desktop (gnome, correct?) onto it. I appreciate the help, and you guys will definately be hearing from me soon, lol.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jlevpuckba View Post
    Thanks, but I actually just installed the Ubuntu server with LAMP
    LAMP=Linux Apache Mysql Php

not sure how you installed it but my commands above would have worked as well. glad you got it working.