Find the answer to your Linux question:
whenever my server reboots, cups and samba restarts fine but the file /etc/cups/mime.types get reset to the default/initial setting so the application/octet-stream gets commented out. Everytime the machine reboots I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cups resets files after reboot

whenever my server reboots, cups and samba restarts fine but the file /etc/cups/mime.types get reset to the default/initial setting so the

application/octet-stream

gets commented out. Everytime the machine reboots I have to go and uncomment this line. This is a hassle when my server updates and reboots and I don't know it. Any hints/tips?

Check your SELinux configuration, it can do things like this. If it makes changes, they'll be in the logs somewhere.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

kind of solved it

I checked SELinux but that wasn't the problem. It wasn't the restart but the updates that were the problem. I never actually cd'd into the /etc/cups/ directory but just vim'ed the mime.types file. Today I went into the directory and saw that there was a mime.types.rpmnew This file has the relevant line commented out and I am assuming that its getting copied to my mime.types after updates.

What I need now is a way to stop this from happening. I've edited the .rpmnew file to be correct but I won't know if this will work until the next nightly update.