Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Vsftpd onto my OpenSuse 11 machine. However, I'm having the problem of not being able to access the file. Can someone guide me though this? I'm needing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Vsftpd configuring problems.

I have installed Vsftpd onto my OpenSuse 11 machine. However, I'm having the problem of not being able to access the file. Can someone guide me though this? I'm needing to backup files from the office to this computer at home.

Just Joined!
    It could be a error due to permissions, or do you mean that you can't access the config file? Try chmodding the files and folders you are going to be downloading on the FTP server to 777 via chmod -r 777 <path> where <path> is something like /home/yournamehere/ftpstuffs .

Just Joined!
    Thanks for replying, Coburn64. I had almost given up on getting a response. I'll see if that works tonight. Thanks again. Actually, when I put the address into the browser, it gives me a screen as if I'm accessing it with the option of going to an higher directory, but I'm clearly not because I don't see anything. I've changed the permissions of the file so anyone can view them, but still nothing. Also, when I supposedly log in...it doesn't ask me for a password....which it should.

Just Joined!
    Alright....I'm able to get into the server now, but I keep getting 550 permission denied. I checked and yes...I have allowed reading and writing to the file. HELP!!! I don't know what to do to fix this. It won't let me transfer any files to it. However, it will allow me to copy files from it.

Just Joined!
    It seems to me that Linux, or at least the forum has lost a bit of steam. Years back when I would post a message, I would have three or four answers before the day was through. Oh well. Thanks anyhow.