Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm going through the openvpn howto, section "Configuring client-specific rules and access policies", HOWTO . I understand how the network is segregated, different subnets for employees, sys admins and contractors. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Openvpn howto question

I'm going through the openvpn howto, section "Configuring client-specific rules and access policies", HOWTO.

I understand how the network is segregated, different subnets for employees, sys admins and contractors.

I don't understand how openvpn identifies a user as either an employee, sys admin or contractor.

Is that what the next section, "Using alternative authentication methods" deals with? Does it involve using the openvpn-auth-pam plugin?

I don't see where else openvpn could recognize a user, other than if the client built it into their certificate.

For example, is this how it works:

You login with user sysadmin1 / some password via the openvpn-auth-pam plugin, openvpn recognizes the sysadmin1 user and invokes "ifconfig-push 10.8.1.1 10.8.1.2".

Linux User
    The identification is done through the common name when you create the certificates.
    You can find this information from the sample server configuration file
    # EXAMPLE: Suppose the client
    # having the certificate common name "Thelonious"
    # also has a small subnet behind his connecting
    # machine, such as 192.168.40.128/255.255.255.248.
    # First, uncomment out these lines:
    ;client-config-dir ccd
    ;route 192.168.40.128 255.255.255.248
    # Then create a file ccd/Thelonious with this line:
    # iroute 192.168.40.128 255.255.255.248
    with duplicate-cn on you can use the same certificates for a group of people, for example, the employees.