Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to set up an apache 2.0 web server. I've managed to stumblem my way through the tarball install process (trying to learn the command line and not depend ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

silly question about my domain name

I'm trying to set up an apache 2.0 web server. I've managed to stumblem my way through the tarball install process (trying to learn the command line and not depend on the GUI). But I've got a silly problem/irritating situation.

I've got the server up and running (but no page on it yet). When I go to the domain (www.local-solutions.net) I can get to the page, but the address bar in my browser changes to show the ip address of my server.

What am I missing in the config files to fix this?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    If you only have one domain name hosted by this apache server, you can specify the ServerName in the httpd.conf file

#
    # ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify itself.
    # This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
    # it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
    #
    # If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
    # redirections will not work. See also the UseCanonicalName directive.
    #
    # If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.
    # You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
    # redirections work in a sensible way.
    #
    ServerName www.local-solutions.net:80

Alternatively, if you have multiple domain names hosted then you should specify the servername in the VirtualHost section that relates to the correct server.

Another thing to check is that your /etc/hosts file lists the domain name as one of the aliases for the correct ip address.

Hope this helps

Sarah