Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have set up a Samba PDC at my school. It has been running for awhile as a login and file server for many Windows 98 computers. Recently I needed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Domain Admins for Windows XP

I have set up a Samba PDC at my school. It has been running for awhile as a login and file server for many Windows 98 computers. Recently I needed to add a Windows XP computer to this network. I created a computer account on the server and successfully joined the Domain. ("Welcome to the LAB domain") I restarted the computer, and after restarting had no administrative controll over the computer. I could not login as Administrator. In the local group listing for Administrators it listed the group /LAB/Domain Admins, so I have tried to configure this group. I created a unix group with several users, including root, and then, using webmin associated it with the NT group Domain Admins. The Windows XP computer does not seem to recognize this group though, I can log on to the XP computer using root or the other accounts in this group, but have no Administrative access, It doesn't treat me like I am an administrator. How can I set up this NT group or how can I regain Administrative rights on this computer?

Linux User

admin

you must log into the local computer not the domain using the local administrator account that you set up during install of XP. then access control panel and add a group from the samba server into the local administrators group.

Does this make sense?
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.