Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I have been searching the web for two days and can't find an answer. I am building a server for my home network. I have windows, and linux systems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question PostFix mail server

Ok,

I have been searching the web for two days and can't find an answer. I am building a server for my home network. I have windows, and linux systems (XP and Fedora, server is CentOS). Here's the question.

How can I setup Postfix to send mail to my local domain when necessary and to external domains when necessary. I do not have a dedicated domain name and use Cox and Godaddy for my smtp servers so I need to use relay on postfix.

As currently configured I can send and receive mail (using fetchmail) fine but all mail, even local mail goes to the cox smtp server (my relay host). It would be nice if the local lan-only mail only went to the postfix server then to the local mailboxes.

I know the answer is simple and I probably just haven't been looking for the right thing. Anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

you will need to use some kind of domain in postfix, even a fake. but for postfix to handle local mail it will need to think its receiving for something.

you will then need to use relay recipient maps to specify valid users
    (ex)
    user1@yourdomain.com OK

and then user a transport map to specify the next hop for the user
    (ex)
    user1@yourdomain.com smtp:[cox.smtp.server.com]

Just Joined!

Postfix Mail Server

Ok,

But that would seem to indicate I need to perform these steps for each user? That seems to be a lot of work not to mention what to do with the unknown people I need to email?? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the guidance.

for postfix to be able to say, user1@domain goes to local and user2@domain goes external it needs to know about all users unless all @domain.com goes local and everything else goes external

then your transport map will be
    @localdomain.com smtp:[localmailserver]

and then setup cox as the relay host. then everything for localdomain.com will be delivered to the local mail server and everything else will go to cox.