Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, My company is growing fast. I'm getting new servers and user accounts everyday. I need a good way to manage all these users across multiple servers fast(single sign-on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux User Management Tools

Hi all,
    My company is growing fast. I'm getting new servers and user accounts everyday. I need a good way to manage all these users across multiple servers fast(single sign-on would be nice). I looked into LDAP, Kerberos, IPA from redhat and even openID, there are just so many tools out there that i'm not sure which one to spend my time on.

Can somebody tell me what they use for their company or maybe some kind of suggestions?

thanks!

kevin

we use active directory on windows servers and I connect all of my linux servers and services to that whenever possible. but active directory is ms implementation of ldap. so if I didn't want to pay I would use any ldap, and depending on your os you could use fedora directory server, novel edirectory, or just plain ol ldap.

thats just my opinion though.

Just Joined!
    I am not sure how helpful FreeIPA was in your case. If you're looking for identity management, single sign on, certificate authority, user, group policy management and provisioning, then I suggest you try zivios (Zivios - Open Source Enterprise Management).

I am senior team member at Zivios. Let me know if you require any assistance.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    rzafar,
    The software look nice. It seems like in order to use it, i'll need to install Zivios on all of the client desktops. If that's true, do you guys have Zivios agent for windows desktop? 80% of our company uses windows vista.

Kevin

Just Joined!
    The agent is required mostly for server side control of services running on the machine. Your desktops do not require an agent to be running (currently). As such, Zivios will provide for a complete LDAP/Kerberos/DNS/Ntp/Cert management suite right out of the box. We also have a additional plugin for Samba which would allow You to create and maintain a windows domain which your windows workstations can sign on to.

Your windows identities would be completely in sync with the rest of the identities.

Installation is straight forward. Your samba server would require an agent and the samba package to be installed. Samba configuration is automatic as soon as you add a Samba service.

Check this out when you have time:

Getting Started With Zivios - Zivios Wiki