Find the answer to your Linux question:
We are currently using a Netware 3.12 server. It has a Foxplus DB on it along with MAS90 accounting and the DB program is a DOS program that basically keeps ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is best free server distro

We are currently using a Netware 3.12 server. It has a Foxplus DB on it along with MAS90 accounting and the DB program is a DOS program that basically keeps up with everything in the company except the accounting part.

It is accessed by around 15 98SE workstations.

I will build a new computer for a new server and that is the problem. Netware 3.12 just runs and never has a problem. I have done nothing to it for 8 years except let it run. However, the computer I built that it is running on has to be getting close to life's end and the old 3.12 will not access and work with modern hardware.

The new machine will have an AMD cpu and I assume the linux distro will be able to use 64 bit quad core.

I have played around some on Ubuntu but am basically a newbie at linux. I want to use a linux server because from all I can find out it will be the closest thing to the old netware and will just set there and run without problems unlike anything windoze has.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure there is a clearly defined "best" server distro, but you can check this poll to see how our membership voted regarding their favorite distro for server usage.

Hope it helps you with making your decision.
    oz