Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running squid 3 samba Sarg Squid is my proxy for Windows clients in an Active Directory Domain. I have this setup so that it authenticates users transparenlty. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

squid issues working for a bit then not

I am running

squid 3
    samba
    Sarg

Squid is my proxy for Windows clients in an Active Directory Domain. I have this setup so that it authenticates users transparenlty.

My issue is, client workstations set to use squid will work for about 10 minutes and then stop responding and start prompting users for username and password for any website. I cannot seem to pinpoint why this is.

Anyone have ideas

Just Joined!
    update:

It seems to me that everytime I am browsing around on webmin this happens. Not only does the proxy seem to ask for credentials but it also hangs when trying to login at the prompt

did you set squid up using webmin and do you manage it using webmin?

if no to both of those then uninstall the squid webmin module and try again. If you do use it then make sure webmin knows about the correct config files, open the module in webmin and check module config and make sure its all the correct config locations (case matters), and if you are using a helper program like squidguard, then check your config in the webmin module and verify its pointing to the same helper program you are using.

Just Joined!
    If I do do a fresh install and install webmin first, everything runs fine. If I then install squid via 'apt-get install squid' then point to the config in webmin. It is from here that certain things on webmin just slow down to a complete halt. Most stuff works but things like checking 'system/users and groups' just hangs but prior to squid install it was fine.

what if you take webmin out of the equation and configure it manually?

It sounds like webmin is trying to load an incorrect config file, either for squid itself or for a helper program like squidguard.

and I only mention this again because this has caused me grief in the past. case does matter, squidGuard.conf is not the same as squidguard.conf, they would be different files. apt may be configuring it differently then webmin, which is I believe what my problem was in the past. take a look at your squid.conf file without webmin and make sure it has the correct path to the correct file

Just Joined!
    jledhead:

I will try on Monday when I am back in work. I will try it without the use of webmin and see what happens. I am sure it has something to do with the installation of squid. After I install this the problem occurs.

I will also report my logs for these issues and hopefully they can shed some light on this issue and the squidguard problem from my other post
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ser...rd-webmin.html

cheers

Just Joined!
    The only section that does not work is 'system/users&groups', everything else is perfect.
    What happens precisley is the following

After clicking on user&groups, the server seems to become unresponsive, if I try and log onto the server physically, after entering my username it just hangs. Also squid seems to stop. Like I mentioned, my clients browsers cannot access the web and the user prompt pops up asking for username password. what's interesting about this is

It shows the realm that I entered on squid.conf but if I click cancel, it then shows a prompt with no realm in at all, then cancel and vice versa and so on. I don't know if it is trying to read 2 different squid.confs or whether it is just a glitch.

This is not a massive issue, as long as I stay away from users and groups I should be ok but it is just bugging me that users and groups effects squid and the server.

Just Joined!
    update:

I have removed squiduard and squid module but the users&groups still hangs, I have removed users&groups module and reinstalled but no joy

are there any logs generated when accessing the users and groups modules? do a tail on the webmin logs and then hit the users and groups and see if there are any messages. also, does users and groups actually work or does it hang in webmin and then additionally hang squid? I am guessing you are trying to pull up AD users and groups when going there?

Just Joined!
    that's an interesting point about AD names being pulled. Now that the box is a member server, if I click on users and groups I was just assuming that they would be local.
    After about a 5 minute wait, users and groups does eventually load up and squid resumes operation. Nothing in the logs. I will just learn to live without users and groups. cheers