Find the answer to your Linux question:
Helo, this is my first time here, I had search some threads, couldn't find someone with the same problem... I have a PC (linux fedora 9) connected (eth5) to a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem sending e-mail to hotmail...

Helo, this is my first time here, I had search some threads, couldn't find someone with the same problem...

I have a PC (linux fedora 9) connected (eth5) to a modem (2wire), another nic (eth0) connected to a hub and two more PCs (windows OSs), everything works great, the web, the DHCP for the private network, samba, etc...

My problem is that I can't send e-mails to hotmail's accounts, I have test to other e-mails servers and it works but not hotmail... I think I know why... but I don't know how to fix it...

when I do a nslookup myserver.freedomain.com it gives this...

#nslookup myserver.freedomain.com
    Server: home
    Address: 192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: myserver.freedomain.com
    Address: 189.159.209.xxx

but if I do a reverse lookup it gives me this...

#nslookup 189.159.209.xxx
    Server: home
    Address: 192.168.1.254

Name: dsl-189-159-209-xxx.prod-infinitum.com.mx
    Address: 189.159.209.xxx

so doing a direct host.domain lookup gives me my machine, but the reverse lookup gives me my gateway modem... how can I fix it to give me my host.domain machine???

I don't know if that could be done or if that's the problem or WTF???

to test how its seen from the outside you need to run the checks externally, something like this works nicely
    Ip Tools, DNS tools, internet tools, WHOIS, traceroute, ping, domain name tools

that said, what mta are you using and what errors show up in the log when you try to send to hotmail? or better yet, try and send (from this machine) and email to hotmail using telnet
    telnet email - Google Search
    IMO one of the best ways to trouble shoot specific host connections for email

Just Joined!
    As soon I send an email to hotmail, an e-mail is send back with a link to MSN Postmaster and there is said...

1. My e-mail is being blocked by Windows Live Hotmail or is being sent directly to the junk e-mail folder

Are you advertising yourself as a non-routable IP?

We may not accept e-mail from senders who fail a reverse-DNS lookup. In some cases legitimate senders advertise themselves incorrectly as a non-internet routable IP when attempting to open a connection to Hotmail. IP addresses that are reserved for private (non-routable) networking are 192.168.0.0/16, 10.0.0.0/8, and 172.16.0.0/11 (or 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255, 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255). The most common private network is 192.168.0.0.

You need the owner of your IP to put a reverse lookup entry in DNS. If you are a residential user, I doubt your provider will do that for you.

Alternatively, you can use the smarthost feature of sendmail. Google smarthost sendmail for config details.

Just Joined!
    And what about a static IP??? would that help???

while a static Ip isnt technically required for a reverse ptr record, it wouldnt make any sense unless it was associated with a static IP. Just having a static IP without the reverse ptr record wont resolve the issue.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I went to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and modify the SMARTHOST line, but don't I need to enter a user and a password???

I try sending some e-mail again, but this time, is not reaching not only the hotmail's one, but all!!!

Final-Recipient: RFC822; user@domain.com
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: DNS; smtp.prodigy.net.mx
    Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected user@domain.com
    Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:45:56 -0600

Guess I can't use their server either!!! Prrrttt!!!

if your ISP requires SMTP auth,then yes you will need to pass credentials.

Here's a how-to...

Sendmail SMART_HOST + SMTP AUTH Howto - LinuxQuestions.org