Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have access to cron jobs through the CPanel interface with my host and want to use it to backup my MySQL every night at midnight, then zip the backup ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backup and E-Mail

I have access to cron jobs through the CPanel interface with my host and want to use it to backup my MySQL every night at midnight, then zip the backup and e-mail it to me. Is this possible, if so, how would I do it?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Please search first to see if a similar qustion has been posted or answered. If you check here at http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/...ghlight=backup this may answer your issue. If not then repost with a detailed question so that its clear that your issue is different.

Thanks,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I had done a search and seen that post - but I don't have access to put it in the directory on the server - only a web based system. Also, I need to to come to my e-mail if possible. I will check out the FTP script though.

Just Joined!
    I can't use the FTP one as I don't have root access - this is shared hosted.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Hopefully Jaguar or another user will be able to shed some light on this for you. It is not my area of expertise within linux. Newbie stuff is more my speed.

Good luck,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks.

Linux Guru

Re: Backup and E-Mail

Quote Originally Posted by Olate
    I have access to cron jobs through the CPanel interface with my host and want to use it to backup my MySQL every night at midnight, then zip the backup and e-mail it to me. Is this possible, if so, how would I do it?
    Hiya.

Do you have access to any sort of command line scripting capability on the server? telnet or SSH access? what command line mailers are available? mutt? mail?

It is possible, but you will need the ability to have scripts you write placed on the server, and you will also need access to utilities such as tar and mail/mutt.

Let us know what your hosting company have given you access to.

Jason

Just Joined!
    I am not sure what programs are installed on the servers. Basically, I have a control panel option for Cron (see screenshots).

I do have SSH access to the server. I assume all the standard systems are available for the server, which should in mail and tar?

You can view the screenshot of what I can do via the CP here.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Olate,

Your missing the screen shots.

Also if you have not, if you would run from the cmd line "whoami" and what is the command prompt looks like. i.e. bob:> or root:> etc...
    Dan

Just Joined!
    It is a link to the screenshot on the word here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast