Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I'm new here and not terribly experienced with Linux, so thanks in advance for your help. I've got a Fedora Core 2 server with several samba shares on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't run executable files from a samba share on Win98

Hey everyone, I'm new here and not terribly experienced with Linux, so thanks in advance for your help.

I've got a Fedora Core 2 server with several samba shares on my network that I use to store utilities and tools that's shared across several subnets. I've got the shares set to "share" securtity, and I have no trouble working with them from windows 2000 and XP clients. Whenever I browse from a windows 98 client, I can see everything fine (got past the passwords issue), but I can't launch any executable files. I tried downloading the files to the local machine, but it won't even allow me to copy. I get the error

"The specified resource or device is no longer available".

If I try to launch the file from the share, I get an invalid page fault, and the message

"this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on your machine".

I've set the permissions wide open on both the shares and the files on my linux machine. I've set the network security options to "low" for the local intranet (on the win98 control panel). I should note that I have no problem running executables from other windows or netware shares, just from this particular samba share (I don't have another samba share to check against).

Does anyone have any ideas of things to check? I've gone through swat, the samba config file, the redhat samba config program; I can't find any option that seems to relate to this issue.

If you can help, you'll have my eternal gratitude. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Nobody else has this issue?

its a critical differnce, Linux exectues all remote commands on the server, MS executes them on the client, so Samba is sending a ms32 executable to the linux box, and the linux box is sending parameters to the ms machine. I'm assuming this is because you executing this code, if you are just trying to copy the files, then its probably a derivitive of your password, if you are just skipping past it without proper authentication, then obviously little can be done, (even on a windows machine)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    its a critical differnce, Linux exectues all remote commands on the server, MS executes them on the client, so Samba is sending a ms32 executable to the linux box, and the linux box is sending parameters to the ms machine. I'm assuming this is because you executing this code, if you are just trying to copy the files, then its probably a derivitive of your password, if you are just skipping past it without proper authentication, then obviously little can be done, (even on a windows machine)
    No, it happens when I'm logged in properly; If I'm not logged in, I can't even browse the share, much less run anything. The exact same files shared on a windows xp machine works fine; plus, the samba shares only have trouble when accessed from win98. From win2k or winxp clients the samba share works fine. I'm not really sure what you're saying about executing remote commands on the server; It's just a file server. I browse to it and click the files. I would assume the client just treats it like any networked drive.

What's really frustrating is that the thing worked fine under fedora core 1. Somehow when we upgraded to core 2, it broke it.

Linux Guru
    I think (but I'm not sure) that FDC2 updated the version of Samba, but left the old on there. You could try using the older version, since you know that worked.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude