Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off, let me state that I hate CUPS with a passion but as far as I understand, its required if I want to share my printer in a heterogeneous ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems accessing cups admin page remotely

First off, let me state that I hate CUPS with a passion but as far as I understand, its required if I want to share my printer in a heterogeneous network. Sometimes when printing (especially from the Windows machine), the document will be stuck in pending without printing (and my wife will continue to try to print said document repeatedly despite all my attempts to put a stop to the practice and upon my return complain vehemently of my incompetence as a system administrator to which I secretly agree) so I have to log on locally to the server and remove all the pending jobs before getting the first to print. I have been trying to log on remotely from my laptop and delete the documents through the web interface at server.address.com:631 but keep getting the forbidden - no permission error. I have set up iptables on the server to allow ip and udp on port 631. Is there anything more I need to do? I want to remove the input devices to the server but can't if I have to keep logging on locally. Thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by notgeekenough View Post
    First off, let me state that I hate CUPS with a passion but as far as I understand, its required if I want to share my printer in a heterogeneous network. Sometimes when printing (especially from the Windows machine), the document will be stuck in pending without printing (and my wife will continue to try to print said document repeatedly despite all my attempts to put a stop to the practice and upon my return complain vehemently of my incompetence as a system administrator to which I secretly agree) so I have to log on locally to the server and remove all the pending jobs before getting the first to print. I have been trying to log on remotely from my laptop and delete the documents through the web interface at server.address.com:631 but keep getting the forbidden - no permission error. I have set up iptables on the server to allow ip and udp on port 631. Is there anything more I need to do? I want to remove the input devices to the server but can't if I have to keep logging on locally. Thanks

Simple!!

Click on Start >> run >> type in "services.msc" and locate the service by name "Print Spooler". I'm sure that your service is stopped. You need to start the service to get the output result of your print command.

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe"

NOTE: Once service is started, all the pages in the print queue will get printed out..

Let me know, if you'r facing an problems with Linux box?

Just Joined!
    Thanks jaijai

The aforementioned computer is in use. I will give your advice a try when it is available (most likely tomorrow at the earliest). From my laptop, a linux, I have no problems except sometimes it takes a while to print.

If I follow your advice will this take care of the problem for good or do I need to start the service on windows each time. Additionally, can I do this from the administrator login and have it trickle down to the individual users?

Once again, thanks jaijai

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Smile

Hi notgeekenough,

I've currently got a problem pending with regards to my Fedora 8/Samba PDC but I did get CUPS to work!! you need to edit the CUPS config file. There is a Samba PDC howto available at the link below and it has a section on setting up remote access to the CUPS page. You could give it a go and see how you get on. the link is :-

Samba Domaincontroller For Small Workgroups With SWAT On Fedora 8 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

I set the relevant lines in my cupsd.conf file to:-

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
    Listen *:631
    Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

I took out the only listen for localhost and added the "Listen *:631

Good Luck

Regards
    Psychojock

Just Joined!
    I logged onto the windows machine and the print spooler was set for automatic start. I don't have a linux driver for the particular printer a HP C4480 and so I have used a different one that seems to work. Could this be a problem?

Just Joined!
    I love cups. to get the cups to show up on other web browsers. On the machine that cups is set up on localhost:631/admin and then set ([x]Allow remote administration).