Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I'm looking to set up a Media Server for my Home. I want to share Music (mp3), Pictures (jpg) and Video , (Various Formats) around my home. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dedicated "MEDIA" Server

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to set up a Media Server for my Home.

I want to share Music (mp3), Pictures (jpg) and Video , (Various Formats) around my home.

I have been running WHS for the last few weeks and have got on well with it my trial ended and I can't buy it because at the moment it only comes with the purchase of hardware.

I am looking into a new project of setting up a server to share to,

3 Pc's 2xVista, 1XP
    1 Old Xbox with XBMC (I know this supports SMB shares)
    1 PS3
    1 Xbox 360

At the moment I can easily browse the files on my server, from the PC's I have set up file locations for my xbox, and the PS3 + 360 (which are the main units I am looking to share video too) easily recognises Media Shares thanks to WMP11.

I don't want to have a simple file server as I need to share the files to my PS3 and 360 (depending on format) so I cant watch them on my TV and benefit from the Picture quality and surround sound.

I am quite new to Linux (bet you're bored of hearing that) my only experience is as a user of my friends machines. However I am very technically minded and can figure out how to use i, given enough time.

All I need to know is what collection of softwares (and what Linux version) I should be looking at installing. at this point I don't even know where to start.

I am after.
    Linux Version
    Server Software (that shares to PS3 or 360 without transcoding)
    Remote access software from a windows client

Any other software's that are recommended.
    I will be installing sabNZBd to manage my newsgroup access and to manage file locations.

I understand you probably get questions like this all the time and there is probably already several threads on this, I'm sorry but not knowing the roght terminology I don't even know where to start looking

Thanks for any help

I use an application called ushare to share to my Xbox360. It is quite good and certainly does the job. It doesn't transcode so anything you share should be in a format that is recognised by your client (Xbox/PS3 etc.).

It works fine except for two drawbacks
    • It is not aware of Network Manager, so if you are using that you may need to manually start the service after the network is connected
    • It indexes files when it starts up and doesn't bother refreshing the listing.
    • It tends to only index the first directory you give it...I created a hidden directory with symlinks to the ones I wanted shared (as subdirectories) to get around this.
    For the second problem, I find you're best off not connecting to it for a minute or two while it's indexing. Generally speaking ushare does everything you would need it to but seems a little immature in a few areas so the annoyances are there for you to see but hopefully will disappear at some stage in a later release.

It's available with most distros, I use the version that comes in the Ubuntu repositories. You can even configure it with the built in web interface which is a nice touch.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 12-22-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post

It works fine except for two drawbacks
    • It is not aware of Network Manager, so if you are using that you may need to manually start the service after the network is connected
    • It indexes files when it starts up and doesn't bother refreshing the listing.
    • It tends to only index the first directory you give it...I created a hidden directory with symlinks to the ones I wanted shared (as subdirectories) to get around this.
    OK, thankyou
    That's a good suggestion but the problems you have outlined would afect the process too much for me to put up with.

I'm going to look for something that refreshes the index and starts automatically when the server boots.

I have been reading about MediaTome as another upnp server the PS3 supports. but attitudes towards that are up and down.

looks like there is no clear winner here for a program to deal with this

I'd actually consider swapping to any software that fixed those few issues. From my own research ushare is the only one that's close enough for me. There are plenty of upnp servers out there that'll work such as MediaTome that you mentioned and gmediaserver. The downside I found is that while the PS3 doesn't mind too much the Xbox360 is very fussy. That's how I got stuck using ushare in the first place.

Just Joined!
    would it be possible to run2 seperate upnp servers?

I think upnp runs on a particular port (possibly the broadcast port). If that's the case I think only one service can use it at a time. If you do find a good solution that works with Xbox360 I'd be interested in hearing about it too

EDIT - I found this project on Sourceforge, but I haven't used it before. Hope it is of some help.

SourceForge.net: 360 Media Server