Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop with 128 MB RAM, 30GB HDD running PIII 600 Mhz. I have installed Fedora 8 and the GUI is slow. I plan to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Linux Flavor : Dell Inspiron 5000

I have an Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop with 128 MB RAM, 30GB HDD running PIII 600 Mhz. I have installed Fedora 8 and the GUI is slow.

I plan to install a Wireless LAN card (USB or PCCard) 802.11g.

The Laptop would be used primarily by my kids and applications such as TuxPaint, Games and Educational and fun software are important.

Keeping the above in mind, which flavor of Linux would you recommend? SuSE, Debian, Gentoo, Mandriva?? I need a simple way to setup the Wireless LAN 802.11g using WPA [TKIP] encryption.

Suggestions, Comments?

Linux Guru
    NimbleX 2008 is worth looking into. So is Puppy Linux. I run Dingo and Nimble myself and both works wirelessly via pcmcia wireless g card. . They both will run faster on 128 mb ram than SuSE or Mandriva.

NimbleX - The New Wave of Linux ! - NimbleX 2008 is out!

Downloads | Puppy Linux

Linux Guru
    Oh, and the PCMCIA card I use is a Dlink WNA 1330 Wireless G Cardbus. I don't know if WPA is a option with these distros. I know WEP is though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I did try Edubuntu and it hung up during the install. I settled on Debian, and it installed fine. Lots of packages available through the package manager. The GUI response time is good, compared to Fedora 8 GUI sluggishness..

thanks

you could always try xfce4, available in the apt repo's for debian. might be a little lighter than the default gnome

Just Joined!
    Thanks .. I will try that.

One more question: will I be able to use Wireless WPA encrytion? I have an on Linksys WPC11 card that works on WEP 40/128 bit. I guess i have to give that a try first

only if the card supports wpa, it has nothing to do with the os.