Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! Im not sure if this question goes in the correct section, but here goes.. Im looking for some kind of solution in linux that can backup mobile phones over ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mobile sync/backup in Linux?

Hello!
    Im not sure if this question goes in the correct section, but here goes..

Im looking for some kind of solution in linux that can backup mobile phones over the web, contacts, mail, sms etc. Contacts the most important. Mail you can always use lmap/pop3, but i guess there is no compliment in linux to exchange activesync?

My phone operator offers a service that syncs the contacs to their server, but costs alot of money when you need to sync 10+ phones.

Most mobile phones have a sync application in the phone, im not sure how it works.

So does anyone know anything about this, is it possible in linux?

There are a variety of programs and utilities to do mobile sync. For instance, I think Kontact has a syncronize feature. You never specified what kind of phone you have, but I don't know what phones are supported by Kontact anyway. I am under the impression (could be wrong) that Kontact uses a program called multisync to do the actual job, so that might be more generic.

There are other things that kde offers such as kdebluetooth, but never having used it I don't know how well it works with the sync programs.

If you have a palm then you can use a program called jpilot. I've used it in the past with success.

I just found this as well, it looks like it might use an IR COM transfer:

From How can i sync my KDE addressbook with my mobile phone? - Ubuntu Forums
    I just got it to work last night.

1. sudo apt-get install multisync

Multisync is GTK based app that Multisynk (with a K, which is what is used in Kontact) is a frontend to.

2. In Kontact, choose a IrmcKonnector as the first device. You then click on "Options" (or is it "Configure", I'm at work and can't remember quite). You then choose a device (your phone should appear in the list of possible devices if kdebluetooth is working properly), and choose whether to sync address book or calendar.

3. The second device should _NOT_ be Addressbook (makes sense huh?) but "Local Resource". In the options view for this device you need to choose the files that contain your address book/calendar. This is pretty easy, because when you browse for files, the default is the one you want.

Now you can sync.

I did find it a little buggy, in that it didn't work every time. Sometimes I couldn't get the options window up for IrmcConnector, and other times it would start synching and freeze.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimhoff View Post
    There are a variety of programs and utilities to do mobile sync. For instance, I think Kontact has a syncronize feature. You never specified what kind of phone you have, but I don't know what phones are supported by Kontact anyway. I am under the impression (could be wrong) that Kontact uses a program called multisync to do the actual job, so that might be more generic.

There are other things that kde offers such as kdebluetooth, but never having used it I don't know how well it works with the sync programs.

If you have a palm then you can use a program called jpilot. I've used it in the past with success.

I just found this as well, it looks like it might use an IR COM transfer:

From How can i sync my KDE addressbook with my mobile phone? - Ubuntu Forums

Thanks for the answer, but this isnt what im looking for exactly, i need to remotely from anywhere in the world, be able to sync these things with a server over the internet.