Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have a linux server, running command line ubuntu 7.1. we have webmin 1.400 running, the only modules I believe we are using on it is: Apache BIND MySQL There ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Webmin 1.400 Webserver Backup

We have a linux server, running command line ubuntu 7.1.

we have webmin 1.400 running, the only modules I believe we are using on it is:

Apache
    BIND
    MySQL

There may be others. It is a web server. Its running on a desktop machine, and I want to move it over to a dell poweredge machine. How can i migrate EVERYTHING over while keeping webmin and all its websites that are in it, intact...

This same webserver setup has been running for about 5 years. Its about time to move it over. What I would LOVE to do, is reset the whole thing up from scratch. But I dont have the knowledge or the time. maybe after i get it to the new machine, I can work on cleaning it up.

{The Real Question}
    I want to know if its possible to backup all webmin setup, configs, files, everything... and even the htdocs, and things required like that, and move it all to a new machine. From a desktop to a dell poweredge.

Its the bridge held together by scotch tape.

~AX

Just Joined!
    Try clonezilla and image the drive tot he new machine unless the architectures are different (i.e. 32 vs 64bit). Oops your going to a dell server. Though it might be fun to try it. Get ready to install drivers though. You will have to do it the long way. I would still back up the original server so you have all the configurations files from /etc. you can get a package list of what is installed on the machine.

Instll a bare version of ubuntu.
    dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > pkglist
    Copy pkglist to the new machine, then issue a:
    dpkg --set-selections < pkglist
    apt-get dselect-upgrade
    This will install all of the available packages which are installed on the configured
    machine to the new machine. The package list will not include anything that was installed separately from apt.get. you will still have to do that the old fashion way.

I have used this to go from a physical machine to a virtual
    Virtualize a Server with Minimal Downtime

the drivers were most definitely different from the physical machine to virtual and it worked like a champ.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That is a good idea. Vmware also has a tool to do pretty much the same thing..