Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I share a new folder on my XP box it isn't picked up by samba after a while. If I immediately connect to the network and share a folder ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

samba stops updating user shares

When I share a new folder on my XP box it isn't picked up by samba after a while.

If I immediately connect to the network and share a folder samba picks it up. After about 10 minutes if I share another folder samba won't pick it up.

I notice the same problem with smbtree- after a while it doesn't list user shares.

After looking at wireshark I could see that samba stopped sending a "Name Query" to my XP box. XP was still refreshing it's registration about once every 5 minutes though.

I'm using samba 3.0.28a and have no firewalls on the lan, any suggestions are welcome.

smb.conf
    Code:
    [global]
            netbios name = SHWICK_GATEWAY
            server string = SHWICK_GATEWAY
            interfaces = lo, eth1
            bind interfaces only = Yes
            map to guest = Bad User
            passdb backend = tdbsam
            syslog only = Yes
            name resolve order = lmhosts hosts wins
            socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
            os level = 65
            preferred master = Yes
            domain master = Yes
            dns proxy = No
            wins support = Yes
            invalid users = root

[Media]
            path = /home/ftp/
            create mask = 0640
            directory mask = 0750
            guest only = Yes
            guest ok = Yes

Just Joined!
    Can anyone help?

I tried some stuff from the samba checklist.

The pc could ping both the samba server shwick_gateway and itself shwickhomepc.
    The server couldn't ping shwickhomepc: "ping: unknown host shwickhomepc". It also couldn't ping shwick_gateway.
    On the server when i do "smbclient -L shwick_gateway" I get "Connection to shwick_gateway failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)".
    On the server when i do "nmblookup shwickhomepc" it returns the right ip. Also "nmblookup shwick_gateway" is successful.

It seems the netbios lookups are successful from the server and the wins lookups are successful from the pc. The wins lookups aren't successful from the server.

I have a bind setup on my machine, but I don't tell samba to check it because I want it using the wins server. I set "dns proxy = no". I get the same results with "dns proxy = yes".

Just Joined!
    Can someone please help?

Uhhh, I was going to suggest that you try the Samba forum, but I see you already did that. I use Samba myself but I have never had a problem like this. I'd just keep bumping this thread, someone will see it and might be able to help.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Can someone please help?